The float test

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickalicia, Mar 7, 2015.

1. chickalicia

chickalicia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    I have read here on this site about the float test and how to perform and the results. I have these four eggs that when I candle them two seems questionable and the other two look good. Can see veins. They are due to hatch soon. So a lot of black and somewhat hard to tell for me anyway. The ones that I see as questionable float and the ones I see as good sink immediately to bottom. They don't lay on side but big part of egg pointing up. So what I see and the float test says is opposite Any advice.

2. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Is this not good? I just want to make sure before I throw it out [​IMG]

3. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    Anyone?.....

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    The big part of the egg sticks up because of the air cell. I would not do a float test on any egg until it is way past due for hatching. At that point, I'd be looking for any sign of movement of the egg in the water. Perhaps a little bit of egg wobbling, or a bit of surface water movement. The two you're showing look clear. Have you read all you can find on the learning center about hatching eggs and candling? Have you read "hatching 101"?

5. ChickenJerk

ChickenJerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Yes.
    Forget the float test for embryo assessment. It is unreliable method in determining if the embryo is alive. It is somewhat more reliable in indicating if the embryo is dead

6. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    Iam sorry I should have stated. The egg I showed was not the one I did float test on. They are due the ones I did that with. The pic is another I candled. I can't tell if growing or not good

7. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    And yes I did read things about embryos. I just can't tell w the float test. Yes I read about float test here and elsewhere. But Iam still insure.

8. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    So I still need my questions answered someone please.

9. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    If they have veins and development continue incubating. I'm w/gardner in that the water candle should only be done after the hatch date. If your air cells are not growing (which can cause chicks to drown at hatch) then they will not float well. I would double check the size of your air cells and continue to incubate using the air cells as a guide to how much humidity you need for the remainder of the hatch.

10. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    THANK YOU! [​IMG][​IMG] I really needed that info. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by