The Flock Block

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LBLISS, Aug 14, 2010.

1. LBLISS

LBLISS New Egg

Aug 14, 2010
    My husband and I went on vacation last week and the in-laws took care of our chickens while we were away. However, to lighten the load slightly I bought a Flock Block so they would only have to worry about changing the water for them. Now that we are back home I have not yet removed the Flock Block from their run because there is still a lot of it to be eaten.....now the chickens are eating on that and not eating their regular feed. They are about 16 weeks old and haven't starting laying yet, will the Flock Block be o.k. to keep in the run, or should I remove it so that they continue to eat their regular feed?? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

2. rdport

rdport Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2009
    Texas
    I am no expert, but here goes...what protein content does the block have? I have heard that you take them off chick starter right before they start laying and put them on layer feed. I would check the content of the block for starters. I would say the block taste much better than the other feed. They do like treats and will fill up on them if they can. Who needs a balanced diet when you have the good stuff..[​IMG]

3. LBLISS

LBLISS New Egg

Aug 14, 2010
    Thanks for the advice! I will check in to the nutritional contents of that block!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by