the flock needs greens... attempting to grow alfalfa! *UPDATE post 15*

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by technodoll, Jan 19, 2010.

1. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    This website inspired me to give it a go!

http://www.backyardnature.net/simple/alf-spr.htm

Looks simple enough, found alfalfa seeds at the feedstore today ($3 a pound but a little goes a long way) and if all goes well, in a week I should have a nice bunch of crunchy greens to give to the flock!

Poor things haven't free-ranged in 2 months thanks to the snow, and will likely not see any greens until April...

I hope it works!

Anyone else tried this before?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  2. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    It should work just fine. Read up on sprouting. Feel free to ask questions.
    (I have a constant rotation of sprouting trays...) My girls get them everyday.
    ON

3. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Cool! So the flock likes the greens enough to make it worthwhile?

My mom used to grow sprouts when we were little, I haaated them.... still do, they taste like soap [​IMG]

4. comp6512

comp6512 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Lordy! $3/pound! How about some redneck chopped cabbage, you might steam it a little so it softens up. How about some collard greens? You can steam a bit those too. Shredded carrots? Heck, even lettuce leftovers from your salad plate. What did chicken eat in nature when it snowed? I'm sure they dug something up from under, certainly not alfafia sprouts.

Please dont' take me wrong, I am not opposed to treating your chickens like royalty. Just thought of other, less expensive alternatives. But that's just me.[​IMG]

5. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Quote:Yep, things like Alfalfa and clover seeds are $$$.

I sprout very little clover. I mostly sprout Oats, Wheat and Black Oil Sunflower seeds for the gals. (Just grains in the 50lbs sacks, not anything special for sprouting.) Very cost effective that way! Also all the leftover greens from the kitchen or indoor garden go the the ladies also.

What did chickens eat in the snow???? Don't think chickens come from snowy climates... Our grouse are sorta like chickens and they eat buds off trees in the winter.

ON

6. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Quote:Well, a small cabbage here costs about $1.50 and lasts the flock about 2 hours, they go MAD for the stuff! I toss it whole and raw in their coop to try and make the fun last but they are just starving for greens. A small head of lettuce is about $2, that lasts 10 minutes!

1 lbs of alfalfa seeds will make many, many big jars of sprouts, so it's the most cost-effective thing I've found so far...

IF I can grow them right.

[​IMG]

7. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:In Tennessee we have little snow in winter. I have located 3 different weeds that grow here that my chooks love. I sometimes go pick a bucket full and toss them in. They eat them roots and all! [​IMG] Do not throw away brocolli stems either. Cut them up and mix with chook treats like I do. They are really good for them but to tough for salads. In warm weather, I dump grass clippings by the bushel in their run. I use dried clippings for litter and nests. Free, works great, and smells good too. [​IMG]

Also, try a sweet potato pinata instead of lettuce or cabbage. It lasts longer and they love them.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  8. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    I've been using the growth that comes from horse poo. I've struggled for years to keep it out of the garden, but this year when picking late planted greens for the chickas... I grabbed a hand full of the sprouts. Wow the girls loved it. It's free easy to pull up and they gobble it up. Happy day- a use for horse poo sprouts!

9. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I just buy a bale of nice alfalfa hay and put some as needed in a hay feeder I hung in the coop. They eat a surprising amount of it. The egg yolks are nice dark yellow/orange. Works for us and it's easy.

10. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    During the winter I buy a bag of alfalfa horse cubes. I take a black rubber bowl and put a layer of cubes in the bottom, bring it in the house and cover with water to soak overnight. Voila, in the morning we have rehydrated greens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by