The Floods

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by BettyR, Jun 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    A friend sent me this and I hadn't thought about it until now but hey she's right!!!!

Is it just me? ...

... As you watch the flooding in the Midwest , have you noticed that there are no farmers running around with stolen plasma TVs or holding
    stolen liquor over their heads. There's no looting or yelling "Where's Bush?"

"Where's FEMA?, Where's my check?", or "Why isn't the Gov't out here saving me and my farm?"

Likewise, I've also noticed there are no reports of any other country coming to help or sending aid.

Shocking contrast from Katrina isn't it???!!!!

2. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    Yes it is a big difference, must have to do with the way they were raised. but they do and will need help, hope it's done properly and in an expedient manner. :|

3. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    There is a big difference. We tried to save our downtown but we couldn't and now our town is moving on and helping one another. I think it's maybe the Midwest lifestyle. It was the same in 1993 floods and after tornado damages also. I was brought up to help others and I guess a lot of others were also.

4. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    You can bet that farmers are wondering why the government didn't fix the levee system after the '93 floods. But farmers are an organized group and they will go through the channels that they need to to get things done. I think that is a huge difference.

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I always think it's funny when we get a big storm in the winter and The Weather Channel hardly covers it. Then it moves east and OMG! What a storm! [​IMG]

If it's a slow weather or news day, then we do usually get more coverage. [​IMG]

6. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    Yes, I 've thought the same thing many times, WoodlandWoman. Here in "flyoverland", a major storm is not big news (except for the local weatherpersons who almost wet their pants), but when it moves out east, it's major news coverage. The Weather Channel and CNN must think east-coasters can't handle weather. I know enough easterners to know they're made of sterner stuff.

7. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:No, we're just cowering in our basements whimpering for it all to stop. We do try... for instance, yesterday after work, I was outside watching the chickens, and it started to spritz a drop here and there. I waited one whole minute before crazily dashing inside.

As an embarrassing afterthought, I went to the U of Minnesota for a semester back in 1980 something, and remember sitting in a freshman geography class where they were discussing hurricanes and tornados. I asked what the difference was. Everybody turned around and stared. (IN MY DEFENSE, being raised in the Hudson Valley of New York, I had never experienced either one! ! ! )

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  8. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    I commend all who have been affected by the flooding and keeping all of you in my prayers. YOU are what America is all about! May God bless all of you and your recovery be speedy!!!

9. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:Very well said!!!!!!

The same goes here.

10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    What an interesting thread. My heart goes out to the people that had their lives affected by the flood and all the hard work and trouble that everyone has gone to to put their lives back together.

I dont think it is right to criticize the situation that Katrina caused. There are so many factors that go into each disaster and what happens to people afterwards, that I do not believe you can just judge people in a blanket statement like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by