The Fox Attacks: Chapter III

otoro

Chirping
Nov 26, 2018
New England
So yesterday was our third run in with a local fox. He hasn't killed one of our girls yet, but came close twice. Yesterday was another close call.

He bit "Princess" - an Ameracauna who is 3 years old twice. While she is not in critical condition, I think her injuries are more than mild. She was breathing and walking funny when I got out to her.

Eventually I calmed her and got her breathing to calm down. I did a brief inspection of the wound area, and sprayed it down with blu kote and isolated her in a clean dog crate with food and water with some extra electrolytes. I had to go pick my son up from daycare so only did some initial triage and made sure she was still drinking and eating.

Today is day #2 and I got her in a tub and gave her a bath, cleaned the area and added some vetericyn plus to the wound area, cut away some feathers and took a picture to get a better idea of what happened to her.

She has bruising and a couple of wounds from teeth along her back, near the base of her neck. I've included some pictures.

So my main question is does she need to go on antibiotics immediately? I'm unsure if I should proactively give them to her, or if they are necessary for this type of injury.

In the meantime, after the bath and application of vetericyn, I applied some petroleum jelly to the wound area applied a non stick wound pad, and some bandage dressing. She is still eating and drinking ok.

Please let me know your thoughts on antibiotics, recommended ones if so, and if there are any care steps that I have missed!

Attachments

• IMG_0222.JPG
    IMG_0222.JPG
    736.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0221.JPG
    IMG_0221.JPG
    611.3 KB · Views: 18
How is the fox getting at them!!?
Are they free ranging?
we're outside typically doing yardwork, and let them free range while we're outside with them. this is 3x over 2 years.

on this occasion I went inside to wash my hands, and chat with the wife for a bit before wrapping up and putting them away, and literally saw the fox run out while I was washing hands at the kitchen sink.

our 2 previous attacks were during fall.

we're outside typically doing yardwork, and let them free range while we're outside with them. this is 3x over 2 years.

on this occasion I went inside to wash my hands, and chat with the wife for a bit before wrapping up and putting them away, and literally saw the fox run out while I was washing hands at the kitchen sink.

our 2 previous attacks were during fall.
Yes ok..
I've had the same experience and I'm afraid they just stay locked up now in their run. One time the fox literally came back for them whilst we stood shocked in the garden. We eventually chased it off by throwing Wellington boots at it!
They're not particularly afraid of humans so I'd say that locking the hens up is the only way to go about protecting them. Obviously a dog would help but then even the dog is a threat to the hens.
Electric fencing works extremely well.
Sorry I can't help more.

I woulda removed the fox after the first attack. I don't play with anything attacking my livestock.
he is super skiddish. we were outside during the first attack and ran over and saw him and he booked it hard. whenever he sees or hears us he takes off very quick.

Back
Top Bottom