The Fraggles

Pics

sean_wonder

Songster
6 Years
Jul 9, 2016
My Coop
My Coop
Welcome to my very first flock, ladies and gents!
On the twenty-second of March, 2019, my family presented me with a cake box from our favorite bakery. Though I had asked for them to make a cake at home this year (which they did nonetheless), they told me 'this cake was just too cute not to buy.' Completely unaware, my five-year-long dream came true when I opened the box to find eight tiny silkied easter egger pullets, hatched on the eighteenth of March. (My parents had been blasting music so as to prevent me from hearing them.) Needless to say I cried rather hard, in complete disbelief. I'd say it was a good three minutes before I even reached my hand inside the box. Unfortunately, on the twenty-fourth, the runt of the flock died. We believe it was some sort of brain damage she'd been born with. Before burying her, and after crying my eyes out, we named her 'Scrambled', since she'd always been a little weird in the head from the moment we met her. Thankfully I can say that all seven of the other girls are doing very well, and are now one week and two days old. Introducing... The Fraggles! (So named after the Muppet characters because Silkies look like little Muppets to me)

IMG_3868.jpeg

Princess Lay-a is the craziest pullet you'll ever meet. She has no qualms with throwing herself off the bed, the table, the couch, you name it, she'll jump. She's a firm believer in "charge first, questions later" and chases all her sisters if they so dare to come near, excluding Beaker. She has high hopes of being CEO-- I mean, the head hen, and certainly has asserted herself thus far. Also, can we talk about those egg-cellent feather pants???
IMG_3854.jpeg

Clementine may not be able to see past her hair, but that won't stop her from loving you to death! She's easily the most relaxed and cuddly hen of the bunch. She's proved herself so worthy of trust that we often can carry her just on the palm of our hand without having to worry of her decided to promptly hop off. She's not a fan of roosting, but she's definitely a follower-- she'll try anything once.

IMG_3862.jpeg

Oh Cheryl... where do I even begin with you? Cheryl, in summary, is a nutcase. Not in the way that Princess Lay-a is, mind you. She is an attention hog. She absolutely cannot handle being out of the brooder unless you've got her fully tucked in a warm dark place somewhere on your body (though hand caves are her preference.) She will scream, and scream, and scream until you give her the attention she desires.
IMG_3872.jpeg

Chickie Minaj, for lack of anything less 'punny', completely flies under the radar. She is the only one with absolutely zero feather pants, and enjoys a good game of chase. Once you catch her though, she adores taking a nice wet poop somewhere on your body and immediately burying under your shirt, preferably on the right hand side for whatever reason. It requires two people including yourself to get her out of your comfy, comfy shirt. There will be lots of protesting, though.
IMG_3876.jpeg

Really, Beaker can be summarized in one sentence-- she believes everything and anything is edible, especially Lay-a's feather pants. She's the only one Lay-a allows to peck her and generally be in her personal bubble. It's a pretty interesting dynamic.
IMG_3881.jpeg

And last, but not least, we have Badonkadonk! As her name implies, she's the largest of the seven, but definitely one of the lower hens on the pecking order. Like Cheryl, she's very vocal about cuddles-- unlike Cheryl, if you give them to her, she'll fall asleep and trill gratefully instead of continuing to peep and preen any chance you twitch a muscle. She's rather sweet, but gets vocal when she thinks I can't see her.

And that's my flock! I'll be doing plenty of photo shoots and post updates often as I can as a centralized journal of my ladies growing up. :)

Attachments

• IMG_3864.jpeg
    IMG_3864.jpeg
    467.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Congratulations! Pretty little things, can’t wait for more updates...
Thank you! They're gonna be some real stunners when they grow up. :love

Congratulations they are beautiful:love can’t wait to see them as they get bigger. I remember when my babies where that little
Aw, thank you!! My only qualm is they're growing too fast!! Slow down!! :hit
Be careful Cheryl is lieable to turn out a dude.
Uh oh, I hope not... but I did just notice today that 'Cheryl' is the only one with a visible comb. :(
I'm thinking that too jsr5. It isn't just females that mouth off. What beautiful chicks. Hope to follow them growing up here. Congrats Sean.
So boys tend to be more vocal?

Also general question but Princess Lay-a is definitely dominant and growing the fastest of all the chicks. I've heard cockerels grow faster than pullets but... it is possible for a female chick to grow super fast right? Her comb is still invisible like all the other gals (excluding Cheryl.)

Currently, Princess Lay-a, Badonkadonk, and Beaker are roosting/sleeping on my shoulders as I type.:love

Congratulations on your Silkies Easter Eggers! :woot

Side note: I see 2-3 of them that may not feather in with Silkie feathering but will have smooth feathers. It’s a genetics thing.
Thank you! Yes, I've noticed that too. I think most of them will be smooth feathered, but Beaker and Badonkadonk will be fluffy.

Back
Top Bottom