The Full Litter

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Redyre Rotties, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
  2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Nosy question - has Iffie just come back to live with you?

She is a lovely looking girl.

I know I am at least a year early, but I am looking forward to Gracie's litter, should you ever breed her.

3. Redyre Rotties

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    No, she is with her adoring owners in FL. She will be coming here to whelp, however. [​IMG]

4. Redyre Rotties

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    The jury is still out on whether I will ever use Grace or not. I don't care for her breed type, however I LOVE the temperament. Health testing on her will be a big factor, and also that of her brother.

5. HorseFeatherz NV

How exciting for you to have pups born in the house again.

I am so sorry to hear that about Grace - that you do not care for her type. Can I ask what it is that you do not care for? I would have loved to get a pup from her.

I have loved Gracie since you first posted pictures of her and love to catch up with the youtube videos you post. I do not know what it is, but she calls to me. She is actually the first Rott I looked at and fell in love with since putting my beloved girl down in 1994. After she was gone, I could not even look at a lovely Rott without tearing up. So I moved to mastiffs - Filas and Corsos - still in the molosser family.

Should you ever decide to place her, I would love to know. We are no longer a show home - never did AKC, I showed ARBA - but she would be a beloved family member.

6. Redyre Rotties

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    She is a great dog, ok? I really LOVE her temperament and her personality. But when you are a breeder, if you want to be successful and contribute to the future of your breed, you have to be able to have an objective eye when you look at dogs with regard to breeding potential. ESPECIALLY YOUR OWN.

Grace first of all is VERY BIG. She is over 25 at the shoulder. Our standard states 25" as the top of the standard for b.itches. This is not a dq, as our breed standard does not have any dq for size, but we want b.itches to look like grump, and she is VERY big.

She is also very lanky and leggy, even for her age. She is lacking in depth of body, and she is very tucked up in the loin. She does not have the front, the balance, nor the substance that Katie does, and she is not even 5 months yet.

So as a breeder, if Katie passes her health testing and continues to fulfull her extreme early promise, it would be taking steps backward for me to use Grace instead of her.

On the plus side, Grace has a very cute head and expression, nice structure, very good bone, correct markings, she is an outstanding free stacker, with incredible drive and working ability, and her side gait is outstanding.

If Grace does end up filling out, I would love to show and finish her, and after that I might indeed be looking for a home to place her. Maybe later next year.

7. HorseFeatherz NV

I did not realize that Grace was so tall. [​IMG]

I hope she does fill out and you are able to finish her - but that is just cause I am in love with her and she can do no wrong in my eyes - mushy I know and cannot help it [​IMG]

8. Redyre Rotties

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    <3

She is taller than Milton. She is a big ol' gal. You would love her if you met her, she is the sweeeeetest thing walking. [​IMG] She has such a great brain, and I love working with her. We will see what happens with her, and I will keep your offer in the back of my mind.

[​IMG]

9. HorseFeatherz NV

Awww, I love her and have not even met her [​IMG]

I can tell that she is smart as a whip and that she has fantastic drive to please.

Thanks so much.

10. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:This is a very interesting assessment of your own dog. I appreciate where you are coming from. Its always good to be objective about your own dogs. I can also look at my own dogs with the kind of critical eye. I bred my GSD twice in mind to have the pups going to working homes because of his higher drive. While he's produced some nice puppies, I don't think I will be breeding him again for several reasons. One being some structural issues. His mind is good, except his issue with kids, that is getting better.

I think Grace is a really beautiful dog, and personally I like her longer legged look. But I realize you are going for the standard and the Judge's appreciation and not mine or even your own [​IMG] I hope that you can find a good home for her if she doesn't turn out as you want her to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by