The fun begins! 2 hens, 2 juveniles

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Prairie Orca, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Prairie Orca

Prairie Orca Out Of The Brooder

On the evening of July 26 I placed an ad on Kijiji asking for laying hens. The following day at noon I received a phone call from a young man saying his father (Mike) has Rhode Island Red hens and chicks available (along with some bantams). I just about immediately drove over to the address I was given (had to stop at the bank to withdraw some cash first). Mike showed me to the back of his property and led me to the coop where the chickens were being kept. I stepped over the threshold and was overcome with chicken-itis. I wanted them all! But that would be ridiculous, so I picked two hens and two juveniles (all RIR).

These pictures were taken July 27:

[​IMG]
    The quiet hen.

[​IMG]
    This hen talks a lot, and likes to test my sanity by wandering really far when I let them all go free range. Since she talks so much, for the time being I'm calling her "Yappy".

[​IMG]
    The two youngsters.

July 28:

[​IMG]
    For the first time in a long time, I was up before noon! And this was what I found. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The quieter, more likable hen.

[​IMG]
    First good picture of the juveniles.

[​IMG]
    Quiet hen again.

[​IMG]
    I like to make them work for their food. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    "There's one!" *peck*

July 29:

[​IMG]
    "Whaa?"

[​IMG]
    Picture of the side to show the feathers more clearly.

[​IMG]
    The quiet hen came out to see what I was doing.

[​IMG]
    Nomming the grass.

[​IMG]
    Yappy the Instigator.

[​IMG]
    "GRASS!"

[​IMG]
    The incubator of doom! Now with two eggs. [​IMG]

Still thinking about what to name the two hens. Any ideas?

I don't know the gender of the two juveniles, so it'll be a while before I can think of names for them. [​IMG]

I plan to get more chickens in the spring. I got these four now so that I can start and learn with a smaller number.

2. Brahma Mamma

Brahma Mamma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    Your ladies are very nice! They look happy and are quite stunning![​IMG]:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by