The Funniest Sound I've Ever Heard From a Bird

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TheBantyCoop, Nov 3, 2015.

1. TheBantyCoop

TheBantyCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2015
    The California Coast
    I heard one of my five month old girls making the strangest noise today. It was really loud. Like worry about your neighbors loud....

It was like a classic stereotypical noise, like a BUCK-BUCK-BUCK-BUCK-BA-CAWK, but louder than I've ever heard. I looked around the coop for an egg, wondering if it was a strange egg song, but after through search I concluded that there was no egg.

So, what was up with that sound, any ideas?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Maybe something scared her? My flock seem to listen to the squirrels in my garden - if they start making alarm calls, then so does the flock - even though they have no clue what they are clucking about!

CT

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Alarm call is very similar to 'egg song'.

4. TheBantyCoop

Jun 9, 2015
    The California Coast
    Thats an interesting idea, I bet thats what it was. I didn't find anything "scary" around the coop while one of them was making the sound, but if they would make that sound even if the forget why its probably it. [​IMG]

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    They'll also sing the egg song when thinking about an egg, when someone else has laid an egg, when getting practiced up for the first egg, after laying an egg. Alarm call, and where are you call sounds similar. My rooster sings the egg song along with the best of the hens, but he adds his classic chatter at the end of every stanza of the egg song.

6. Cacique500

Cacique500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Here is my BO doing the egg song...

She also does it (or a sound very close) when she's irritated (squirrel, cardinal, etc.)

7. TheBantyCoop

Jun 9, 2015
    The California Coast
    Ha that rooster, super cute! [​IMG]

8. TheBantyCoop

Jun 9, 2015
    The California Coast
    Yup thats the sound all right, louder than I expected. Do they make that sound daily? I'm a little worried about some of my less tolerant neighbors, despite their little dogs who yap 50x louder than the hens cluck. [​IMG]

9. Cacique500

Cacique500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Mine are fairly quiet but they can do it daily. The good news is it's almost only for a couple minutes...not like the neighbors 60 pound dog that barks for 45 minutes straight until they let it back in.

A few cartons of eggs scattered strategically amongst the neighbors will work wonders. We have one neighbor that we don't really get along with (and she's also on the HOA board...technically no chickens where I am)...but she loves them...reminds her of when she was a little girl and somebody (grandfather?) had them on his farm. So you never know what you'll run into.

I've also told the neighbors what that sound means...kinda puts it in perspective when they hear it they know that the chicken just laid an egg. Not like a dog barking for no reason!

10. TheBantyCoop

Jun 9, 2015
    The California Coast
    Thanks for the advice! Neighbors are tough, I have an abnormal abundance of good ones and a couple bad eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by