The funniest things happen in the Henhouse

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ARose4Heaven, Aug 4, 2010.

1. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    We butchered half of my Cornish Rock meatbirds today. Made the rest of the flock just a bit too nervous as I found out when I went out to close up the henhouse nextdoor for the night.

Guess what I found in my henhouse. Roosters! 6 of the little lovely's. My crafty young Leghorns had flown up on the roof, down into the henyard and walked right in with my layin hens. They thought they were the next ones for the chopping block and were gonna pretend to be hens. Silly things, all the hens are colored birds, did they think I wouldn't notice thier bright white plumage among the ladies? The Leghorns aren't scheduled for the block until November. But THEY don't know that. LOL

2. Jmurcks

Jmurcks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    North Alabama
    I guess they thought if they were going to go they were going to do it in style... stop by the henhouse first!

To blend in with the hens... their master plan foiled!
    Better luck next time roos! [​IMG]

3. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    It makes me so sad to hear about chickens being culled. I understand people have to eat, but I love my chickens, I have gotten SO attached, they are like family. And, yes, i eat chicken, just not ones I have raised myself.

4. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Quote:see that is where we are completly opposite- I started raising chickens so I would know what I was eating. I could see where you could get attached if you only had one or two. But I was raised on a farm and I know that fresh meat is the best. I about died the first time I had to buy meat from the grocery store- it was so strange and I was completly out of my element. Plus it didn't taste near as good.

I hope you at least eat organic fresh chickens.

5. Jmurcks

Jmurcks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    North Alabama
    I just wanted pets myself so that is why I got an ornamental breed to start with.

I don't really buy much chicken at the store so I thought that a meat breed would be a waste for us...
    Most of the chicken I buy is in "nugget" form [​IMG]

But to know where your meat came from and how it was raised and processed... that must bring a great peace of mind!

6. blueraspberry

blueraspberry Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    [​IMG] I'm a vegetarian so i find that sort of thing repulsive

7. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    For all the complaints people have about leghorns, I swear my one leghorn is the craftiest, most entertaining of all my girls. Her antics never end.

8. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    Quote:I find brusselsprouts repulsive, but C'est la vie. The fact is the idea of 1. knowing where your food comes from, what it has eaten and how it has been "treated" if at all is amazing. 2. We have incisors and canines. From a purely genetic standpoint we are designed to be omnivores and this means meat eating. 3. There is a certain honor if you will in knowing that an animal, as part of it's life cycle, has been treated humanely and had a "good" life before being recycled back into the chain. and finally 4. It's absolutely ok to be vegetarian. It is your choice, but not everyone is a vegetarian. It is not necessarily PC to go on the boards stating that talking of harvesting meat chickens is "repulsive". My humble suggestion would be if you don't like it, don't read about it or post. Kind of like our parents taught us, well taught me... if you don't have something nice to say... well you know the rest.

9. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    ....and back to the story:

[​IMG] That's hilarious that they got in there. I'm wondering if they were hiding or planning one big 'free love party' [​IMG] before their time was up.

10. Me & My Peeps

Me & My Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Western MA
    Quote:You better hope they dont have internet or an iPhone!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by