The Games, Jokes, and Fun problem-- The discussion continues here.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by BirdNut, Jan 9, 2011.

1. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    I, personally, enjoy the Games section. Though, I would not mind one bit if it was to be removed. Younger viewers have other websites that they may use as alternatives. I think that children enjoy this forum more, because they can relate with the people here better; people that love chickens. Also, the kids realize that this forum is safe and completely free of foul language and inappropriate topics. It's an informative forum that has a vast and responsible staff. I noticed that most of the kids that post in the games section also come to learn and to ask for help, just as the adults would.

I would also like an explanation, out of mere curiousity, as to why the adults are so immensely bothered by the roleplays in particular. Do you loathe them because of your own opinion that they're stupid? Do you think that they're simply over-the-top? We roleplayers have spoken amongst ourselves for a resolution, reduced the numbers of roleplays, which, I agree that there were far too many; and we even made our own website so that we can leave you alone. But still, the question remains, why are you so disturbed by them? We see roleplays as a way for the budding writers and storytellers to share our imagination, ideas, and to express ourselves, just as a dancer or singer would.

Also, if you see the need to make a more mature thread in that section, go right ahead. The children shouldn't mind. The, "Let the smiting continue!" thread by Cindiloohoo took off like a wildfire, and it seemed the adults really enjoyed it most.

Here, you all may share your opinions. Please keep the responses friendly. If an argument should begin, I will have this closed immediately.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I dont have a problem with them playrole in those games. After all we don't have to go there, don't we if we don't like it! [​IMG] The mods know what we want and they were very nice about letting us play in those kind of games (which I don't but I dont have to visit those threads, anyway).

No they are not stupid but we are much more mature and we as in different ages do NOT think alike unless you are a kid at heart. If they want to do storytelling, let them get creative and put it to use. AFter all, their English teachers would be proud of them of them putting their writing skills to work!

What I do not like personally, is that the typing of the head of the threads..I can not read those typos well enough to know what it is saying but the young people or people that can read it, great! It may look cute but it is so hard for us to read it. If you choose to type that way, that is YOUR choice, not mine.

To be fair, all the threads in there are good and I don't see a problem overall. I just click on those threads that interests me the most.

3. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    Thank you, Ewesheep. I agree that, if you don't like it, you don't have to look at it. I will speak with the OPs of those threads about changing the titles to be more understandable. [​IMG]

4. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

Quote:BOLD: I agree! It'd be nice for the maker (Gerbil [​IMG]) to change it into normal font so at least the adults (and children) can see what it says [​IMG] (Just read BirdNut's post above, Thank You!)

5. chicken burger

chicken burger Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2010
    my biggest concern is that folks might be posting a life or death situation on one of thier chickens, but it falls WAY behind, even on a next page because of all the 'recent post' on the games. maybe the GJF should NOT be added to the recent posts. that way, the more serious chicken related topics have first priority?

[​IMG]

that way a filtered recent posts is not necessary?

6. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    I dont mind the games at all, I cant read half of what the titles are either lol. The younger members need a place to congragate and have fun. I would much rather my children be on here than most other places on the internet. I have jumped in on some of those threads over at games and jokes, the younger users are always nice, respectful, and intelligent. of coarse I cannot keep up with them and am soon ten post behind LOL.but it is fun anyway sometimes.

7. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

Quote:[​IMG]

mgw - I agree that you can trust your kids in a place like that, knowing that it is safe, fun and even a way to learn!

8. chicken burger

Dec 12, 2010
    Quote:I agree whole heartedly. I think the main issue is that the folks not interested in the GJF section are frustrated to have to filter through it all on the 'recent post' view. Yes, one can click the little '-' minus on the social forums, but that encompasses many other social forum's which one might want to see still. so the basic idea then, would be to move the whole GJF forum to an entirely seperate section on it's own which can then be "-" hidden by the seperate users if they want.

Nifty? What do you think?

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I don't have a problem with the G,J, & F forum. I think having forums for all the wildly diverse population of BYC is a good thing. I rarely post in the games forum and never on any of the RP threads, but I do lurk there. I like to see the creativity.
    I don't worry about fast moving nature of recent posts, because I also go to the individual forums, specifically looking for posts with few or no replies, that I may be able to help with.

Imp- carry on

BTW- I'm [​IMG]

BTW2- As you can see I end sentences with prepositions so no good on RP threads. [​IMG]

10. chicken burger

Dec 12, 2010
    INFACT (I have another egg to lay).... We should be encouraging young people to be on a site as well managed as this. but with the current gripes, we could scare them away and onto less savoury websites. The only possible solution I can think of that will keep both camps happy is to seperate it and let them play as much as they like, without the rest of the users being aware of it if they don't want to be aware of it. It's like having a special hang out for the younger folk, and when they want to get serious or learn, they are free to join the other forum's without someone being grumpy at them because they "cluttered up" the recent posts???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by