The gang is arriving tomorrow...YIKES?!?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CountryCentinel, Nov 8, 2011.

1. CountryCentinel

CountryCentinel Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2011
    CDA
    Well, it has finally come, we have 26 chicks showing up tomorrow, and somehow I sense life will never be the same... LOL!

I have a makeshift brooder set up, cardboard walls, newspaper on the floor with pine shavings on top, a 250W light (Our ecoglow came broken), and some chick feeders/waterer.

Snow is coming and my coop is unfinished, so I will have to get that done in the shop over the next couple weeks (Chicks go out in the coop at 4-6 weeks right?).

We are anxious, but yet excited!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  2. Eddy Chicken

Eddy Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2011
    Southern New Jersey
    We have 18 coming tomorrow from Ideal! The kids are so excited they can't stand it! ....wait....I think I'm just as excited lol...

3. CountryCentinel

Oct 14, 2011
    CDA
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  4. kimf

kimf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Seminole County, FL
    Post pics when you can! I have 7 four week olds and am already planning for more in the Spring!! [​IMG] Trying to get my son's Biology teacher to do eggs so i can sneak a few roos in and hopefully find a quiteish one to keep. [​IMG] Shhh--don't tell DH!

5. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    enjoy!! So much fun [​IMG] we just moved ours out to the coop last week- we are having some unusually warm weather the next few days and this morning my kids and I were outside in the sun watching chicken TV, my daughter hugged me and said MOM THANK YOU SO MUCH for getting us chickens, I LOVE them [​IMG]

6. CountryCentinel

Oct 14, 2011
    CDA
    How big was your brooders?

Can you share how he development went as to where they lived, in what, and when... ;-)

Thanks!

7. NinnyGillaspie

NinnyGillaspie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Huntsville, Tx
    No, Life will never be the same again!! I've wanted chickens for a long time, and finally got some last year. 6 white leghorn hens, and 1 white leghorn roo. They are my friends, and have helped my depression and anxiety very much. Whenever I feel panic coming on, I just go outside to the coop and watch them. They are amazing!! And... fresh eggs everyday. They have added beauty to my life.[​IMG]

8. CountryCentinel

Oct 14, 2011
    CDA
    Awesome...

9. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

How come there's no green faced jealous smilie?? I want to do it again! My chickens are almost 6 months old and it seems like just yesterday they were tiny little balls of fluff. Good luck and enjoy! btw, I think for the moment you can get away with less than 52 sq ft.

10. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    I'm sure your brooder is of sufficient size. They do not need 2sqft each. Thats insane.
    Full -grown bantam chickens need 2sqft/bird and standard size chickens need 4.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by