The Garden Coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SullyCarter, Jan 10, 2009.

1. SullyCarter

SullyCarter Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    Pacific Palisades, CA
    So, im diggin this thing calle the garden coop {see thegardencoop.com}. Below I attached some pictures of my house- how do you think the cooop would go in the second pictur on that gravel area? THANKS!!!!

THE GARDEN COOP {thegardencoop.com
    [​IMG]
    THE FRONT OF MY HOME:
    [​IMG]
    IN THE GRAVEL AREA OF THE PIC BELOW?
    [​IMG]

2. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it would look really nice there! You could paint it to work with the gorgeous look you've got going and it would be a compliment to your outdoor living area. Love it!!!!

3. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    It would look totally cool!! What a conversation piece!!! [​IMG]

Cindy

4. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I'm not good at imagined visuals...but I really want your house!!!

5. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I think that the style of that coop would go really well with the style of your house; they both have a modern architectural look to them.

Gravel is pretty easy for some larger predators (like stray dogs) to move, though (and that huge stuff wouldn't be very friendly to the chickens' feet -- pea gravel is fine), so if you build that coop, I would recommend perhaps putting down a concrete foundation first (like a half foot below the level that you want the run to be) then fill it in with dirt. Chickens love to be able to take dustbaths.

By the way, I think your home is beautiful -- and I love the retractable glass wall. We wouldn't be able to use something like that very much here in Michigan.

6. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Are we actually looking at a Neutra home here or something built by one of his disciples?

Sorry; we are all getting distracted by your lovely home when you are trying to ask worthwhile questions about poultry housing. That chicken house looks perfect for the surroundings. Great choice.

I'm on my way to LA for my sister's wedding on Thursday, and you are reminding me of some of the more beautiful sights I'm in for.

best.

7. SullyCarter

SullyCarter Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    Pacific Palisades, CA
    Quote:Our home was actually built by SoCal based architect Bruce Bolander. If your interested our pool house and home are in the residential section under Carter and Carter poolhouse. [​IMG]

8. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    I think you have a great thing going there with such a pretty house and yard. The coop does seem an excellent fit. With the expense of things like sand or pea gravel not being a limiting factor, but cleanliness being at the top of the list of importance it is worth investing time and effort into realy thinking through the maintenance and upkeep issues. I would consider it more of an aviary for upkeep purposes and build like you would for more expensive birds like parrots.

Think about how you will hose the run and wash things down, (where the water will go when rinsing pea gravel for instance and include a drain hole or two) or how you will accomplish periodically (maybe yearly) replacing the sand in the run if you go that route. Or mix footings with an area of each. If you choose pea gravel (easy to rinse poo out of at will) you can also give the girls a small sandbox to dustbath in (replace sand eventually) if it gets disgusting.

I think I would make sure to run electric out to it, even if you only install an outdoor plug. It would have come in handy several times already at my place, and is one of the things I wish I had done.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  9. chicchick

chicchick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Eastern Massachusetts
    Beautiful house! And I really like the coop, too! (I still have to build my coop and I like the design.) My only thought would be keeping the coop as beautiful and as integrated as the house! Here is an expensive idea - ask your architect for a sketch! [​IMG] A question for the experienced chicken folks, "are coops easy to keep up?" - aesthetic-wise? I ask because I am thinking of the same sort of location for the coop - out front, on the way to the car...

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I think it will look spectacular there. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by