The Garden Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jmbelders, Sep 9, 2010.

1. jmbelders

jmbelders New Egg

Oct 9, 2009
    Hello, I am getting ready to build the Garden Coop. The plans were purchased on MPC. Anybody out there who has built this in the past have any horror stories or stories of greatness about this coop. This is first build for me and it looked fairly simple

Thanks,

2. argyle

argyle Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2010
    I bought the plans for the Garden Ark from http://www.thegardencoop.com/. I thought they were very well done. I think the plans saved me a lot of time, and were easy to use. The result is a very functional and good looking coop.

3. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    Plans? What are those?! [​IMG]
    Looks great! I can offer no words about the coop, tho'. Be sure to take lots of pics for us! And....
    [​IMG]

4. ondreeuh

ondreeuh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2010
    I have plans for both the coop and ark but have only built the ark.

[​IMG]

It's well designed and perfect for my two grown hens. The only problem I have with it is the door between the henhouse and coop - I just don't think it makes sense to have to reach through the henhouse to remove a sliding door. It would have been better to hinge it.

I think most people who build the coop prefer to put the pop door on the side of the henhouse instead of on the floor. There are pics on the website showing how.

Andrea

5. geekgurl

geekgurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I've been working on mine this summer. I opted for the apron and against burying that hardware cloth. The apron is staked down with 8" spikes and washers. I have rebar that is staked down flush against the apron. Oh and I decided to stray from the plans and hang the nestboxes on the side of the coop. I'm doing plywood for the coop instead of what the plans called for. I will paint the outside of the plywood and paint the interior of the coop. The pop door will go on the inside wall of the coop and not the floor. The floor of the run and coop will be sand. Poultry staples just sounded like a pain to deal with, so I opted for screws with washers. I ran out of washers so I've started using bottle caps.
    Cheers, Melissa
    [​IMG]

6. brounii

brounii Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2010
    Jonesborough, TN
    Quote:I love the bottle caps idea, very clever and I'm sure it adds pizaz, lol! [​IMG]

7. tom e

tom e Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    Ventura County
    Very nice! I bought those plans too, but wasn't ambitious enough to tackle them yet. One day I will though, that's one of my favorite coops!

8. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    A coworker of mine built the Garden Coop and he had no issues with it at all. He's very satisfied.

9. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Quote:Great idea using bottle caps! Now, how to put up the wire without gretting really drunk.... hmmmm. LOL!

10. erin76

erin76 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Battle Ground, WA
    We built the same coop this spring...love it! The only thing is we do lose some shavings throught the ramp hole in the floor....i may eventually change the ramp to go out next to the hen house door on the right...

I think the pic is still on my BYC page.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by