the garden is ruined

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dezzy, Jan 24, 2009.

1. dezzy

dezzy New Egg

Jan 24, 2009
    Hi all I have 3 girls all laying but they have ruin my grass which I was expecting to be honest, But now all we have is a mud pit can any one suggest what I can put down to keep them happy and a little less muddy.

I was thinking straw.

Please help.
    Dezzy

2. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    Is it a Garden or your lawn ? If it's your lawn....well....move them and TRY to seed some more grass . If it's your Garden.....WHOOHOOO ! MY garden was never better than it is now that we shovel all of the poop on there ! Our beans , beats , peas , corn , potatos , squash , carrots...all of it is 50% better !! If it's your lawn ...sorry....chicken poo eats so much up since it's so acidic . Try moving them around every other day , or everyday . Chickens like to eat , scratch , and poop . All of which aren't very good for a lawn .[​IMG]

3. dezzy

dezzy New Egg

Jan 24, 2009
    well they have a run that huge and thats what they have trashed, its to big to move around the garden you see.

4. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    Quote:It is a garden though ? If it is.... just shovel all of the poo into the rest of your garden . No biggie . If it's not in the garden , and that's their place , then it doesn't matter much . Ours dug out all of our grass within 1 week , just rake it , and throw as much leftovers as you can to them . [​IMG]
    I'm not sure where you're from....so I can't help you too much with the mud other than when spring break up happens here ......I just let them get messy . They are animals after all......let them be that. It might not be pretty...but that's what they do best .

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  5. Comet Mum

Comet Mum Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    Oxford, NC
    Dezzy, I am guessing that you are from the UK or Australia and that "garden" includes what we in the US call lawn or yard? So, if the chicken run is on grass, and not movable, then about all you can do is accept the mud, or put down sand. Straw is not ideal because it molds easily and can cause respiratory diseases. I'm in a similar situation and am considering adding sand to the run once things warm up a bit here. Best wishes.

6. dezzy

dezzy New Egg

Jan 24, 2009
    Thanks guys will leave them to it many thanks dezzy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by