1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

The gender of my chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Trophamus, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Trophamus

Trophamus Songster

Apr 22, 2010
    Nottingham, UK
    I was wondering if anyone could help with the gender of my chicks, they are roughly 10 weeks old.

Firstly id my 2 black brahma's i suspect both cockerels [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then theres my blue braham, although its comb is red there is nothing there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Im allready certain that this vorwerk is a boy but just in case.
    [​IMG]

Then there is these 4 they were sold as araucanas but i dunno everone on this website had differant views but im not bothred, mabi the standards in england are differant [​IMG]

1st one
    [​IMG]

second one
    [​IMG]

3rd one
    [​IMG]

4th one
    [​IMG]

I can't even remember how old theses ones are but i will try and find out [​IMG]

Copper black marans, a pair?
    [​IMG]

thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  2. ccoomber

ccoomber Songster

Aug 22, 2009
    Redhill, UK
    Quote:If your Araucana's are mature then i'd say you have 3 girls and one roo. UK Araucana's are quite different from those in the USA. The head shots look right but would need body shots to check. maybe try to get shots from side on or above to check for saddle feathers.
    The others i don't know i'm afraid!

Here's my Lavender Araucana. Yours have better crests but mine has a decent body shape for the breed.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  3. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master 11 Years

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    your Arauacana pics are all the same one except for the 4th....

The forst ones are probably all boys judging by comb color.

4. Trophamus

Trophamus Songster

Apr 22, 2010
    Nottingham, UK
    Smoky73 -sorry i don't know why it did that but i fixed it now.

ccoomber - there only 10 weeks so not quite mature which is why i am worried that they are boys, thanks for the information, i will try and get some body shots [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  5. spikennipper

spikennipper Songster

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    In the last pic of the two copper marans you have a pair hen on left roo on right, not sure on the others but the first few pics all look like roos there's an awful lot of red going on in the combs for birds that are 10 weeks.

6. Trophamus

Trophamus Songster

Apr 22, 2010
    Nottingham, UK
    right thanks for the info, its not so good news for me but i suppose it happens some times [​IMG] anyway i was wondering about this young appenzeller i have this one then one thants got a poof at most half the size of it

[​IMG]
    thanks

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  7. Trophamus

Trophamus Songster

Apr 22, 2010
    Nottingham, UK
    i think i have decided the appenzeller with the smaller comb is a girl, she is so much sweeter and just goes all floppy and falls asleep when i pick her up, but he brother just kicks and scratchesm but i would still appreciate any thoughts on my other birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: