The "Gental" Rooster and his Girls

Ryoohkey

Songster
10 Years
May 27, 2013
I thought I would share this and see if others have had or has the same expiriance I have right now. When I read stories about people and their roosters I've always read how aggrissive they are always pecking scratching doing what a rooster should do, I've always loved an aggrissive rooster the meaner the better. The first rooster I had was a RIR he would attack as soon as he herd the door open and I loved it. I live in a city and we have cats all over my backyard or at least had cats, he seemed to have scared them off or attacked them very viscously way to solve that problem. But eventually he ventured out to far from my backyard and was never heard from again. Now I have an EE rooster named Geppetto my profile pic is him when he was a baby. Now when he started to crow I began checking for eggs from his girls for the first week or so he would attack me peck me the usual we'll after a bit he stopped I assumed he knows who I am now and isn't too threatened by me. I hatched a few eggs from him and his girls 3 survived my little dog, I was hesitant at first to put the chicks with him from what I read about introducing new chickens to a flock, we'll to my surprise at 3 weeks I put the chicks outside to see how he would handle them and all he did was his protective dance around them them chased me off a bit, no pecking or attacking the babies. His hens did peck but very lightly (putting them in place) I was very surprised how he took to them so fast, maybe he knows their his? We'll I bought a couple ducks when the chicks hatched but didn't put them out there at the same time they still had fluff and it was cold. Well after getting tired of cleaning up the ducks twice a day it was time to put them outside, I haven't built my duck pen yet so they are going with the chickens. Again to my surprise Geppetto did his dance chased me off a bit and his girls put them in place. Now all the chicks and ducks live together and if I make one of them cry from picking it up he comes running to see what is happening as soon as he sees me he stops and does his dance so I put them down then he walks away. I love my rooster and he seems to like me too here are a few pics of him and his girls and babies

Just because I knew I would have to be so protective of chickens, the rooster would have enough fight to fight off danger until I was able to intervene plus that's what I grew up with at my grandfathers ranch, we'll more like a giant Tom chasing me and my cousins out of his home until my grandfather showed up good guard "dog"

Just because I knew I would have to be so protective of chickens, the rooster would have enough fight to fight off danger until I was able to intervene plus that's what I grew up with at my grandfathers ranch, we'll more like a giant Tom chasing me and my cousins out of his home until my grandfather showed up good guard "dog"

That's odd, generally the roos who protect their flocks are good with people, and the roos who aren't good with people don't protect their flocks, at least going by my experiences and those of people I know, anyway.

The choices to attack people who don't attack the flock, and attack predators who do attack the flock, are not the same thing and not bound together in the roo's mentality. He can be good with people and bad with predators or vice versa.

Personally I'd never tolerate a human-aggressive bird of either gender but each to their own I guess. Plenty of people think he has to be aggressive to humans or he won't be aggressive to predators too.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom