the girl can't make up her mind

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by misterhandsome, Jul 22, 2011.

1. misterhandsome

misterhandsome Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2011
    Kemptville, Ontario
    My EE laid an egg on Wednesday (which we took) and spent the night in a nesting box sitting on nothing, didn't lay on Thursday and spent the night on the roost in the sweltering heat with her gang, laid an egg today (which we took) and is back in the nesting box sitting on nothing.

I'm guessing she's broody???
    Will musical beds continue forever?

Part of me is tempted to just let her have an egg, but our roo Big Nasty (who is as gentle as they come!) hasn't been able get a look in at any of his girls since the day he arrived, so I'm guessing the two eggs we do get each day aren't fertilized. There's always the chance that the girls are simply shy and wait until later in the day when the humans are gone to dim the lights, turn on some Barry White, have a nice meal, etc.....

Insight, anybody?

Thanks!

Tina in Kemptville Ontario, where the dirty old heat has finally broken....for a bit anyway.

2. StrayMagnet

StrayMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    W. Georgia
    you could candle the eggs to see if there is anything in there,

3. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Sure sounds like she's broody! Even if eggs aren't fertile, she apparently wants 'em to be!
    [​IMG]

4. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. misterhandsome

misterhandsome Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2011
    Kemptville, Ontario
    So little miss broody continues to nest. Her lovely sister gave her an egg today and yesterday, which we've decided to let her keep. This morning's *ahem* events convinced us that the eggs are very probably fertilized. I'm SO EXCITED about what the August 14 will bring! ....but at the same time troubled that the wee little chickies might be cockerels.

Nobody told me this was addictive

6. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  7. StrayMagnet

StrayMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    W. Georgia
    Quote:Well even if their Cockerals, (im assuming that means male) and your unable to keep them.. there is always finding a Nearby BYC member who can take them.. or adopt them out to someone else.

of our chicks I'm hoping to find homes for our chicks. I Promiss 1 to one of the workers at the store up the street.. she just wants a pet chicken. and to get a egg once in a while. Then I do Geo-caching.. and I have a box hidden in my front yard. and someone visited the box the day after #11 hatched. and we got to talking and kids meantion the chickens.. and she said they were gettin ready to start raising chicks again. and I told her she can adopt a couple. so that's possibly 3 chicks. Then I'll keep 4 hens. that will leave me with 5 to find a home for and I'm hoping I can find someone on BYC, That way I will know where they are and can get updates on them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by