The Girl With the Pearl Earring

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MissJenny, Jul 10, 2010.

1. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Here's the hen who snatched a pearl earring right out of my ear! And she ATE it!

[​IMG]

You were expecting what? Vermeer?

Jenny

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I almost hate to ask, but it did it ever, um, turn up?

3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    She looks like she doesn't give a darn either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I would say that the pearl will probably be in her crop for life.. She just become one expensive chicken...

5. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    No, the pearl has yet to "turn up" unless somebody else found it -- they may play "Pearl, Pearl, who has the Pearl?" for days!

I was thinking it would end up in her gizzard. Would it maybe even stop in her crop? Never thought of that.

And yes, she did just become one expensive chicken!

Jenny

6. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Nah, she is holding on to it, waiting for #2 .... a girl has to have a pair of earrings!!!! [​IMG]

7. bgelber

bgelber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2009
    Athens, al
    It will probably stay in her gizzard and end up being part of her gizzard. I used to work in a chicken plant ( I know, evil me ) and you wouldn't believe the stuff that their gizzards would grow around something they had ate. The weirdest was a bullet, and yes it was still a live shell, scared the hell out of management.

8. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    Quote:how'd the bullet get there??? [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Gold Griffin Chicken Mom

Gold Griffin Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Suffolk, Virginia
    Unfortunately, pearls being soft, time is your enemy. If it were expensive enough to be horribly worried, there's always crop surgery. How you'll numb her up, I haven't a clue.

I once dropped a ring while my kitten was next to my foot. The next day she picked up a nickel (that had been laying flat upon a tile floor) and brought it to me. A vet told me that stomach acid had probably long ago disolved the gold and the stones got passed unnoticed. The cat died of old age a few years ago. I still toy with the idea of moving her remains to our new property before we sell the old house. That would be my excuse to see if anything got left inside, but I'd be too grossed out to look.

I suggest you put the one earring away and buy yourself a new set.

10. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    the pearl may stay in her crop and act like grit- crushing food before it goes on to the rest of the digestive tract. point is, you probably won't ever see it again [​IMG] chickens eat some pretty wierd stuff!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by