The Girls and Pomegranates ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cindie, Nov 17, 2010.

1. cindie

cindie New Egg

May 28, 2010
    Central Valley
    My neighbor has a pomegranate tree that on occasions the tree has dropped open ripe pomegranates on our lawn. Is it safe for our girls to eat them because they really, really like them? Just wondering??
    Thank you,
    Cindie

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Hasn't killed any of mine. They have been eating them for a month or so now.
    sharon

3. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    GREAT idea, I hadn't thought about letting my girls have the pomegranates. [​IMG]

4. cindie

cindie New Egg

May 28, 2010
    Central Valley
    Thank you so very much. I would hate to take something away from them that they go nuts over! The girls just love them. Again, thank you. [​IMG]

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I wish it was warm enough to grow them here. They are my parrot's favorite! I like them, too.

6. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    My girls love them too! I'm thinking of asking the people at the end of my block for the pomegranates that always rot on their tree.

7. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Watch out when you feed them - the juice splatters quite far from the bird doing the pecking. Not a good hand-fed treat. I speak from stained clothing experience. ProTip - bring a camera for hilariously purple chicken faces.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  8. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Mine are the white ones!

9. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

DH built the chicken run real close to our Pomegranate Tree...turns out TOO close. The girls stood on their roost and pecked holes in the fruit once it started turning red. Will be moving the tree soon!

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Boo-Boo's Mama :

Will be moving the {pomegranate} tree soon!

Uhhhh.... wow. That's some major accommodations to be able to get un-pecked fruit from all sides of the tree!

My land-lady has two pomegranete trees, and her Barbados sheep LOVE the fruit (but can't "open" them by themselves)! She tosses them the cracked ones, and they bash them with their heads to get the seeds. It's quite scary to see three SHEEP with red muzzles and foreheads come lumbering at you for more treats, let me tell ya!

The chickens - free ranging - love to glean anything the sheep don't eat.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by