The Girls are Angry This Morning

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by stevesgirl72, Jan 7, 2014.

1. stevesgirl72

stevesgirl72 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2013
    This weather has them in quite a mood. I have been putting extra hay down. I am headed out soon with a pot of hot oatmeal hoping to improve the mood of the coop. It's very cold out there. I just saw we are in a Freeze Warning for Vernon Parish.

2. Stewarts

Stewarts Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    PEI, Canada
    I'd be putting a heat lamp in the coop. Could be they aren't getting enough light during the day. They need at least 14 hours of light per day. Proper feed and maybe a vitamin in the water.

1 person likes this.
  3. stevesgirl72

stevesgirl72 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2013
    Thanks for the hints :) Will be doing vitamins in the water and heat lamp. They free range during the day. Thanks again.

4. Stewarts

Stewarts Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    PEI, Canada
    Your welcome. See what the heat lamp does for them, mine act up if they are too cold, they also react to high winds and refuse to go into their tarped-in, well strawed hutch on high wind days. Chickens like to be comfortable so I make sure the coop is clean and well strawed, that they have a 100 watt light on good days and a heat lamp of freezing days. They are in an insulated coop with nest boxes and a very high roost {I have turkeys}. But I'm in there every day and I spend about an hour with them just observing how they react and behave so I know of any birds being pecked on and who the bullies are and I can see any other problems there could be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by