The girls are not wanting to go in at night.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jdodd, Oct 21, 2009.

1. jdodd

jdodd Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2009
    Indiana
    Well we are down to 2 chickens neighbors dog got the other 4. We have had them since April. They first started off great going in ever night. When they started to lay I only had to show them once were the eggs went. Now that it is getting darker sooner even with a light in the coop they are either sleeping on there little porch or like the other night was in the front yard on some old fencing. What is going on? Thanks for any help.

2. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I only know that if they are roosting and they have a roost area, I would go to them after dark and place them where you want them, every night, until they begin to go where you want them.
    I like to call mine in just before dark, with an extra snack and if I get them all to come in the coop, I lock them up at that time. There are too many dangers out there at night. Last night I went out to deal with my chickens for a related problem and I heard an owl dangerously close, with 3 of my araucanas within the danger zone.
    I have also removed a few rungs from the roost and placed a ladder in front of the roost area, to encourage my birds to go up by degrees.
    Sometimes I find that the answer is right before my nose and I just have to think like a chicken and then I can out smart them.

3. jdodd

jdodd Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2009
    Indiana
    Thanks for the help. Ill have to go see what the problem is. They use to go in with no problem. There must be something in the coop they don't like. I mistakenly left the light on all night a few days ago and thought that my have thrown them off a little. Ill just have to keep and eye on them and make sure I put them up at night. I am picking up 6 more chickens this weekend from a lady who is getting rid of her flock so I want to make sure the chickens I have can show them were they need to go.

4. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    Good luck. You will want to supervise that also. There will be some bullying. And watch those dogs. I don't know about you, but I don't raise chickens to feed anyone or anything, but my family.

5. jdodd

jdodd Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2009
    Indiana
    Animal control came out and told them to keep the dog fences chained or something or they were going to get fined.

6. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Make sure you quarantine the incoming birds for 30 days before introducing them to the flock. It is not foolproof. They still may be carriers of some disease they were exposed to but not be sick themselves. I know some people don't do this. We didn't and paid the price bigtime. Enjoy your new flock and make sure those neighbors keep their dogs on their own property!

Mary

7. Festa X11

Festa X11 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2009
    Lincolnshire Wolds UK
    Have you checked for a lice/mite infestation in your coop as that will stop the chickens from wanting to goto bed.

8. jdodd

jdodd Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2009
    Indiana
    Ill have to check on the lice and mite. Thanks for all the help and info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by