The girls are on strike!!! (warning... rant)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KDbeads, Jan 23, 2010.

1. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Through all the freezing cold and gloomy days we had here in TX a week or so ago, I got 6 to 7 eggs from my 7 regular girls daily and 3 to 4 from my 6 silkie girls daily.....

Fast forward to nice warm temps hitting the 70's, lots of sun...... and bam....... 2 eggs max a day from the regular girls. [​IMG] The silkie girls keep on trucking, just hoping someone decides to go broody soon.

I mean really.... nice warm temps, lots of sun, same amount of treats, fresh mowed or pulled grass/weeds as usually every few days and NO freaking eggs....

They aren't keeping up with hubby's breakfast egg habit and I'm getting no fried egg sandwiches for lunch [​IMG] Though the silkies are making me proud, I make pickled silkie eggs once a week now and fill an entire quart with a dozen and a half... every week! One of these days I'll start selling the eggs for hatching.

Ok.... done with the rant..... I think they are confused..... Just needed to vent, I know it's winter and I shouldn't expect too much but I got spoiled over the last month or so...

2. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Probably a delayed reaction to the bad weather...I'll bet they'll start up again soon (if they don't start molting!) I'm thrilled to have three gals out of 6 laying again, and I'm going to start adding light to get the others going. I've learned my lesson--don't give all the eggs away!, save some for the lean times!

3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I'll tell my girls to talk to them! They are laying eggs like feathered machine guns! I finally sold 7 dozen today and have my fridge back!

4. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Yeah... I walk in there and call them slackers several times a day [​IMG]

Though this somewhat coincides with switching to Layena which they seriously DO NOT like but have finished off finally. I opened a bag of Dumor yesterday and filled their feeders... I got 4 eggs today (just went out and checked again).

No more Layena if at all possible.

5. chickon baby

chickon baby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    st charles
    Glad my girls arent the only ones.We also had eggs throughout below freezing temps,now its up in the 40's-50's n no eggs for a few days now.I just ask my girls this question; "Do you want to meet "cournel sanders??" aka ;Ky fried chicken..That usually does the trick..lol...I know it will get better soon and back to the egg a day.

6. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Maybe your girls just decided to take the day off and enjoy the sunshine, I know I don't like to work on the pretty days?[​IMG]

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    ahh pickeld silkie eggs [​IMG] the horror!!!!

8. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    Well Iam glad my ladies arent the only ones on
    strike,My first coop
    has not given me breakfast for 3 weeks,
    I have even given them warm oatmeal as
    a treat.This is the first time in a year and half they have
    not done what they are supposed to do.

Yesterday the other
    coop was going full steam ahead. 11 from 6 ladies
    and the 3rd.coop 5 from 5 ladies.
    so Iwas able to have a mighty fine scrambler with
    onions and green peppers .

9. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a sudden drop about a week ago when the last of them began to moult. Honestly, one or two in slow moult since October...but now it's picking up. Hang in there...[​IMG]

10. Dawsonhall

Dawsonhall Pleasant Hill Chicken Ranch

Oct 30, 2009
    Pleasant Hill CA
    How do you make pickled eggs?[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by