The girls are on strike!!! (warning... rant)

KDbeads

Songster
10 Years
Aug 20, 2009
East Central VA
Through all the freezing cold and gloomy days we had here in TX a week or so ago, I got 6 to 7 eggs from my 7 regular girls daily and 3 to 4 from my 6 silkie girls daily.....

Fast forward to nice warm temps hitting the 70's, lots of sun...... and bam....... 2 eggs max a day from the regular girls.
tongue.gif
The silkie girls keep on trucking, just hoping someone decides to go broody soon.

I mean really.... nice warm temps, lots of sun, same amount of treats, fresh mowed or pulled grass/weeds as usually every few days and NO freaking eggs....

They aren't keeping up with hubby's breakfast egg habit and I'm getting no fried egg sandwiches for lunch
hit.gif
Though the silkies are making me proud, I make pickled silkie eggs once a week now and fill an entire quart with a dozen and a half... every week! One of these days I'll start selling the eggs for hatching.

Ok.... done with the rant..... I think they are confused..... Just needed to vent, I know it's winter and I shouldn't expect too much but I got spoiled over the last month or so...

Probably a delayed reaction to the bad weather...I'll bet they'll start up again soon (if they don't start molting!) I'm thrilled to have three gals out of 6 laying again, and I'm going to start adding light to get the others going. I've learned my lesson--don't give all the eggs away!, save some for the lean times!

Yeah... I walk in there and call them slackers several times a day
hide.gif

Though this somewhat coincides with switching to Layena which they seriously DO NOT like but have finished off finally. I opened a bag of Dumor yesterday and filled their feeders... I got 4 eggs today (just went out and checked again).

No more Layena if at all possible.

Glad my girls arent the only ones.We also had eggs throughout below freezing temps,now its up in the 40's-50's n no eggs for a few days now.I just ask my girls this question; "Do you want to meet "cournel sanders??" aka ;Ky fried chicken..That usually does the trick..lol...I know it will get better soon and back to the egg a day.

Well Iam glad my ladies arent the only ones on
strike,My first coop
has not given me breakfast for 3 weeks,
I have even given them warm oatmeal as
a treat.This is the first time in a year and half they have
not done what they are supposed to do.

Yesterday the other
coop was going full steam ahead. 11 from 6 ladies
and the 3rd.coop 5 from 5 ladies.
so Iwas able to have a mighty fine scrambler with
onions and green peppers .

Back