1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The girls are really growing up.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by m.kitchengirl, Nov 16, 2011.

1. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    I started getting eggs last week.

Isn't in incredible? I did SO much research before I got them. I still do a lot of research - there is so much to learn...

But there is nothing that prepared me for how AWESOME, and I mean that word in its truest form, this whole enterprise becomes once they start laying.

I just heard the "egg song" for the first time since they started. I went out and had the honor of seeing my sweet Silver Laced Wyandotte, Sesame, in the nest.
    That will be my second little, perfect egg today. We have gotten 2 consistently everyday, even yesterday when they layed late (and in the duck house [​IMG] ).
    It just feels like such a gift and a validation of all the hard work.
    Not that I mind the work, I actually enjoy the little routine.

2. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    m.kitchengirl :

I started getting eggs last week.

Isn't in incredible? I did SO much research before I got them. I still do a lot of research - there is so much to learn...

But there is nothing that prepared me for how AWESOME, and I mean that word in its truest form, this whole enterprise becomes once they start laying.

I just heard the "egg song" for the first time since they started. I went out and had the honor of seeing my sweet Silver Laced Wyandotte, Sesame, in the nest.
    That will be my second little, perfect egg today. We have gotten 2 consistently everyday, even yesterday when they layed late (and in the duck house [​IMG] ).
    It just feels like such a gift and a validation of all the hard work.
    Not that I mind the work, I actually enjoy the little routine.

[​IMG]
    I am waiting for my first egg to arrive, the girls are 20 weeks today.
    Just wondering how old are your chickens?​

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats!!!!! It never gets old. I still get excited over my new girls beginning laying.

4. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    My girls are 29 weeks Saturday.
    I had given up completely.

So, maybe that adds to my joy, relief, and enthusiasm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by