1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The girls are squatting! But..

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by birdbrain5, Feb 17, 2011.

1. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    My turkeys are last years hatch, and today I noticed the girls squatting, but neither of my toms even seem a bit interested! They walk right by the hens without a glance. Are they not mature enough yet? When will they figure it out? The man I got them from said he saw one of them start to strut, I havent seen this at all in the two weeks since I got them. Can I expect things to pick up in the next couple weeks or is this year going to be a flop as far as fertility goes? How long after they squat do you generally see eggs?

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

If you just got them 2 weeks ago they are still settling in, that will throw them off. Do you know when they were hatched last year? There are alot of factors that affect mating and fertility. Ours have all started late this year, we had a cold/cloudy/snowy winter and they are about a month behind last year on laying.

Steve

3. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    the man said spring of last year, he wasnt too specific [​IMG] I am keeping them cooped for now and probably will thru laying season so I dont have to egg hunt, I do need to put a window in the backside of the coop for some more light, not that its dark in there by any means. Does daylight effect them laying like it does the chickens?

4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Yes the light does affect them like chickens.

Steve

5. SED

SED Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    North West Alabama
    My tom has been strutting for at least 4-6 weeks now but my hens are not squatting. They are all laying and have been for about 4 weeks but I have yet to see a fertile egg. Very frustrating!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by