The girls are squatting! But..

birdbrain5

Songster
12 Years
Aug 2, 2010
My turkeys are last years hatch, and today I noticed the girls squatting, but neither of my toms even seem a bit interested! They walk right by the hens without a glance. Are they not mature enough yet? When will they figure it out? The man I got them from said he saw one of them start to strut, I havent seen this at all in the two weeks since I got them. Can I expect things to pick up in the next couple weeks or is this year going to be a flop as far as fertility goes? How long after they squat do you generally see eggs?

If you just got them 2 weeks ago they are still settling in, that will throw them off. Do you know when they were hatched last year? There are alot of factors that affect mating and fertility. Ours have all started late this year, we had a cold/cloudy/snowy winter and they are about a month behind last year on laying.

Steve

the man said spring of last year, he wasnt too specific
hmm.png
I am keeping them cooped for now and probably will thru laying season so I dont have to egg hunt, I do need to put a window in the backside of the coop for some more light, not that its dark in there by any means. Does daylight effect them laying like it does the chickens?

My tom has been strutting for at least 4-6 weeks now but my hens are not squatting. They are all laying and have been for about 4 weeks but I have yet to see a fertile egg. Very frustrating!

Back
Top Bottom