1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

The girls arrived!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Patoot, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Patoot

Patoot Songster

Aug 20, 2010
    I just got four 3 month old RIR. Two seem to be a bit bigger, but hard to tell. Two still won't come out of the box. I am just leaving them alone for now. Here is a pic of the two bigger ones:

I gave them food, water, and left one box in there because they seemed scared. Two hopped on top of the box and have been there since. I just leave them in the coop for a couple days so they know it's home, right? Then I can let them out?

I really appreciate all the help. I've learned a lot.

Bree

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    I can't see the picture .. 3 month old pullets are almost full grown sized .. so they probably look pretty big to you, huh?

I would leave them in the coop for a week .. do you have a fenced chicken yard? I definitely would leave them in a week if they are going to free range...

Can't wait to see the pics .. and CONGRATS [​IMG]

3. Patoot

Patoot Songster

Aug 20, 2010
    I'll have to figure out how to post the pic. Oops. I have to rush off to work, but I'll try when I get home.

Thanks.

Bree

4. Patoot

Patoot Songster

Aug 20, 2010
    Does this work?

[​IMG]

5. Patoot

Patoot Songster

Aug 20, 2010
    These are the two bigger girls. The other two finally came out of the box. One is much littler than the others. She must be younger. I"ll have to take a pic and show you...now that I know how to put a pic up.

Bree

6. Patoot

Patoot Songster

Aug 20, 2010
    Although I intend to let them have the whole yard eventually, I did make them a little run too. A week seems like a long time to be cooped up.[​IMG] Pun intended.

I can't remember where I read it on here, but somewhere it was saying to keep them in a few days and then they should learn that's home. My entire yard is small so they would be within 50 ft of the coop at all times. Does that change your recommendation? I would just feel bad if they couldn't come outside for another week.

Bree

7. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Songster

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    They will be fine in the coop/run for a while. It will for sure help them know that this is their new home. You could always let them free range for a little while (supervised by you).

8. Patoot

Patoot Songster

Aug 20, 2010
    So I can let them out in the run then? I just don't want to keep them in the coop all day. They seem to be doing well tonight. I checked on them and two were on the roost and the other two were on the cardboard box they came in right next to the roost. They are eating well and I think drinking too.

Thanks.

Bree

9. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Songster

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    Is the run attached to the coop? If so I don't see any reason that they can't play around out there. Just make sure you get them all secured in the coop for bedtime. Also, make sure that the run and coop is secure from any predators. For the two shy ones... Try throwing some treats out in the run. Maybe that will help them come out of the box. Bless their sweet hearts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: