The Girls' Big Day Out

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Daisygirl, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Daisygirl

Daisygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    I used to run a stall at a farmer's market. I sold free range eggs as well as a whole lot of other things...and I decided to take the girls along for the ride. We had done this previously, when they were six tiny puff balls of yellow feathers; I'd put them in a box that would seem GINORMOUS compared to the little dots...many people wondered why there was a box for "Super Green" vegetables on my normally tidy table. Their little chirps and fuzzy behinds melted the hearts of even the staunchest of visitors. So I thought that all six 10 week old girls would have no trouble in the limelight of the market place. I had no idea what I was in for...

Firstly, transport. Spare carboard boxes were out, so I went for a cat cage.
    Fairly shortly after lining it with newspaper I head out to the coop. Daisy meets my gaze curiously, cocking her feathered head, golden eyes sparkeling. "Whatcha doin, Jay?" she seems to say. Quietly I beckon to her, spinach in hand. She waddles over, always keen to eat. I gently pick her up, flip open the door, push her in and close it. A slightly confused head pokes back through the bars. As requested, she gets her spinach leaf for being a good girl.

Twenty minutes and many squawks later I have my two hens. Did you know that you cannot put more than two chickens in a cat cage without them getting a LITTLE agitated? I didn't. The girls are strapped in the back, cooing gently to each other as they fall into a light slumber. The car lurches forwards, and off we go!

After an hour of sharp turns, squawks and shuffling we are at the market. I unload, and place the girls in the dog cage I had used as a brooder when they were little. Content, they perch together on the cat cage door, observing the busy world around them. Children point, people start and other stall holders stare as the new celebrities make themselves at home.

"We used to have chickens when I was young..."
    "Are they for sale?"
    "Is that a duck?
    "Can I touch it?"
    Finally the inevitable question comes from the girls themselves - "Can we go for a walk?"
    Because there were no dogs, the stallholders are rather taken with the girls and they had been in relatively small spaces for two hours, I figured that it was a reasonably safe move. What I didn't factor into this was which stall was beside mine...

"Naughty girl! Stop eating those strawberries!" Me and my neighbouring stallholder cry to the rampaging girls. "Broooook, bok bok bok booooooook!" Daisy says. Well, if you say it's my fault...

Another thing about letting hens loose in a marketplace. They see that it is now THEIR territory and all pidgeons, seagulls and sparrows are intruders and MUST be chased until they give up and take flight. Shirley, Daisy's twin, is particularly good at this. She starts by giving them a good hard stare and then, if they wern't scared off by that, takes chase, wings flapping, legs blurring and letting out an almighty squawk.

After an eventful day, with crops bulging the two girls walk willingly back into their cage. The last people from the throng that was there beforehand trickles out the gate. Daisy gives the children gathered around her cage a friendly cock of her head. "See you next Sunday!"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  2. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Such a wonderful story!

We also sell at local farmer's markets. I am always so amused at the "City Folks" as they gaze at chicks and chickens.... most of the time it does indeed spark a memory that I get the joy of hearing about. Best of all are the children when they meet a chick for the first time..... oh the look on their faces. Simply priceless!

3. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Wonderful story!

I love it!
    [​IMG]

4. Daisygirl

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    Yeah, I used to be one of them "city folk" three months ago...wouldn't have known the difference between a comb and a wattle if you had asked me...
    I think I did the right thing. I'd give the kids some veges from the very nice stallholder and they'd feed a chicken for the first time in their lives...totally worth it.

I enjoyed hearing one particular memory;

A lady's daughter work at a nursery called Palmer's. And they have free range chickens. One in particular little one that was just coming out of the teen stage was called Roger, after the henpecked husband of the manager of the nursery. So everyone was hoping that this particular little clucker is a Rooster. Problem is, two weeks ago "Roger" was found sitting on a clutch of eggs. So you've either got yourself a very confused rooster, or a broody hen... [​IMG]

5. Daisygirl

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    Just remembering the other antics the girls got up to on market day...

It's an ordinary morning at the market. Daisy struts out of the cage door, confident that she and her twin, the smashing Shirley, are the queens of their territory. They sniff at the air; delicious smells of home made bread, sizzling sausages and delightful cupcakes saturate the wind. Convieniently her servant, Jay, walks back to the stall, hot dog in hand. Daisy and Shirley retreat to the den to make a plan of action.

"Oi! Get off Daisy!" Jay runs to the aid of the plant lady. She bends down toward the naughty chicken - "SNAP!" Daisy's beak closes over the hot dog, bringing it to the ground. Shirley moves in and steals away the napkin while Daisy brings the sausage and bread back to the den. The girls enjoy a hot breakfast, cackling over the look on Jay's face...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

[​IMG] Lovin' it ! [​IMG] I could envision it easily, with the added smellograpy for further enjoyment!

7. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    [​IMG] your gals are sooo........ [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. lngrid

lngrid Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing your chickens and your delight in them. Hehe.... It SHOWS!

9. Daisygirl

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    On the way home from the market, Daisy and Shirley have a break at Grandmas. The grass is thick, luscious and green, so unlike the stuff at home. Theres a cat, but she runs away hissing with her stubby tail between her legs. Whats her problem? Has she never seen a CHICKEN before?

As usual the girls find the most miscievious thing to do. Daisy investigates the tightrope potential of the clothes line, while Shirley explores the patio. Stone makes such a delightful slapping sound when run on - - Shirley was so surprised she just had to check that the noise was actually coming from her feet by lifting them up and looking under them. Wooooow! almost fell on her feathery behind with enthusiasm for this new game.

The twins peer through the murky glass of the front door. What was taking them so long?
    Suddenly Daisy decides to go for a fly. Booooooook! Feet slapping and wings flapping, she hurtles herself into the air...before coming back to land several seconds later. Her beak taps the ground, but she doesnt fall flat. Wheeew, that was a close one...

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  10. Sammimom

Sammimom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Sammamish,WA
    What great stories! And that photo is SO CUTE!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by