1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The girls don't like pellets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by IDIOT HUSBAND, Nov 4, 2009.

1. IDIOT HUSBAND

IDIOT HUSBAND Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Burgin, KY
    I have just switched from starter/grower feed to layer feed. They use to eat all of their feed over night but since I have switched to the layer pellets they always leave some. Can I switch to crumble will they like that better or are all chickens different?
    By the way I have 15 rir pullets. Any iformation will be helpful, thanks.

2. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    we have 13 birds.... we haven't switched to pellets for that reason. I did post a question on here recently about if there's a difference how people handle the switch with birds that don't like them etc....
    most people say if they've switched, they see MUCH less waste. that's typically the major plus.
    Others say if they don't like them, mix with yogurt, less and less each time until they are only eating pellets. I was also told that they may be stubborn etc at first but if they are hungry, they'll eat.... I think if they like crumbles, and you know they're eating it, and you feel better about crumbles, switch back. otherwise give it a bit, and see what happens.....
    hope that helps

3. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I used to use the crumbles of which I always add some black oil sunflower seeds and some flax seeds. But the feed store ran out and I had to get the pellets. At first my birds took a long time to eat it [​IMG] so I again added the extra seeds and stuff. It took about a week but now they're gobbling it all up.

I'm sure if your birds are hungry enough, they'll be eating it up in no time. I also try to give them a treat only if they've eaten a good portion of their regular food [​IMG]

4. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    My chickens took to the pellets with no issues. I do find I don't have to fill the feeder as much because there is alot less waste than we had with the crumbles. If some do get knocked on the ground the chickens can see them easier to actually eat them instead of it going to waste! It is just a personal preference, if you want to go back to crumbles, then go back, whatever will make you and your chickens happy!

5. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    They may be reluctant at first but don't worry. They will make the switch. I wouldn't bother with trying to entice them to eat it by mixing with treats or yogurt. Given time hungry chickens will eat it.

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    They are eating the same amount, Pellets are bigger and and with less waste it may just seem like their not eating well. also they will get use to it, most animals go through a slight change when the feed is switched. Just keep feeding it they will adjust.

AL

7. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    They will eat them, they won't starve themselves. There will be no chicken picket lines! [​IMG]

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    When I switched to pellets, mine left the crumbles. I had to let them run out of pellets and get a bit hungry so they would clean up the crumbles before they got old.

I agree with Opa. Mine would not eat New Zealand spinach while I was also offering them cabbage, cauliflower, broccali, radish, chard, or kale leaves. When their only option was New Zealand spinach for greens, they loved it.

9. hangin'witthepeeps

hangin'witthepeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Colbert, GA
    Can bantam chickens eat pellets. Some of those pellets are bigger than my silkies beaks. Silkies are 20 weeks and up.

10. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

I am still on crumbles because of one bird. I have a 26 week old crooked beaked EE. I've read that they may not be able to eat the pellets, so we've stayed on crumbles. I know she doesn't go after the "treats" (leftover from kids lunches...cooked carrots, pasta,etc), but loves it when I mix the leftovers with yogurt. I would hate to have to make separate meals for her, so as long as she is able to eat the crumbles, I guess I'll be sticking to them:/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by