The girls' first time outside. ( & Pics)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cyart, Jun 9, 2008.

1. cyart

cyart Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Although my chicks are a week old today, I decided that it was so warm out (in the 90's) that it wouldn't hurt to take the girls outside for a little. So, I took them out for about 20 minutes. The coop was 1/2 shade and 1/2 sun when I took them out and although I thought they would stay in the sun, they opted for the shade. They cried for about 2 minute and then really enjoyed themselves.

Here are some pix:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Christine

2. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Look's like they had a blast out there, and they can stay out longer as the temp difference in the shade is not much. They are so cute and fuzzy still. Good luck with them and let them enjoy that outside air and they may even find a bug or two and that would be a big bonus for them! Trudy [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Jacky'sMamma

Jacky'sMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Antelope, CA
    O M G!!!!! How CUTE!!! my gangly chicks are about 7 weeks old... not as cute as they usta be!

4. Sparks

Sparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    WI
    So cute! Mine will be a week on wed. Didn`t know they could go out so early. Time to get the chicken tractor painted. Do they need grit then? Are they Buff Orps?

5. Coop-a-kick

Coop-a-kick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    Altamonte Springs, FL
    Too, too, too cute! [​IMG] You can tell from their little faces how they're checking everything out. What great pictures! Glad they adjusted quickly.

6. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    they look like they was enjoying being outside in the run.

7. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    If they are getting dirt where the tractor is they will not need as much grit but if they are on grass and eating it and you feed treats then a little grit will not hurt them. They will truly enjoy the outside but make sure they are safe from predators too and have some shade if it is very warm where you are. I was just outside hanging clothes and up above were 2 big hawks flying over looking for a meal. My girls are in a covered run and even then when they see or hear a hawk they still run inside the coop and hide! Tell me they aren't smart. Trudy [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. FloridaChickenChick

FloridaChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Lake County, Florida
    Sometimes I think I will explode before my chicks get here! They are SO cute! How old are they? What kind? What are their names? Let us know if they sleep like babies tonight!

9. cyart

cyart Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    They are a RIR cross-breed. They were only out for about 20 minutes because I didn't know if I could take them out or not, but it was so hot today, I figured it was a good day to introduce them to the world.

Oh, and the coop isn't done. It only has the two sides of the run done (the sides you see in the picture). I propped up 2 2x4s to complete the square. I was there the whole time so there was no chance of anyone getting out (or in!).

Quote:

10. cyart

cyart Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    They are one week today - a cross breed of a RIR and white something or other. I'd love to name them, but I can't tell them apart!!!! I can only tell one of them apart from the rest because she has prominent stripes on her back, but I'm afraid when she gets her adult feathers in the stripes will disappear and I won't be able to tell them apart again! Hopefully when they get to be adults I will be able to tell them apart and name them!!

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by