The girls going into the coop!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bakerjw, May 12, 2010.

1. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    The girls still don't like being touched too much and are still skittish but they are getting much friendlier. Yesterday as I was attaching the electric fence to their chicken tractor they followed me as I went from post to post. They are quite interested in what I do in the yard. Especially if I pick up a piece of clover. That really gets their attention.

Anyway after getting everything wired up and operational it came time to go in for the night and watch some TV with the DW. I got some rice krispies for treats as they seem to like them quite a bit. Unfortunately not all of them were keen enough on the treats to come up into the coop part of the tractor. My son offered to go in and pick up the 2 slackers but I told him that we'd just wait and see if they would decide to put themselves to bed.

Sure enough about 45 minutes later I went out and there were no teen chicks to be seen in the run. I opened the side door and there were no chicks in the lower level of the coup. Looking up to the top I found the girls on the top roost board looking down at me. I put the roost board up high so that they could look out through the upper screen vent window. It is double layered with hardware cloth so they are safe up there. Pics to come.

So the long and short of it is that they girls will put themselves to bed at night. I was so proud.

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Yay! Isn't it great?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by