The girls have arrived!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by cdnley, Feb 23, 2012.

1. 1-2 DAYS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 3-5 DAYS

7 vote(s)
    77.8%
  3. 7+ DAYS

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. cdnley

cdnley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    Picked them up this morning. They were delivered here from Alberta. 2 White Chinese geese. I really didn't have much of a choice and had to put them right in with the others. At first everything seemed okay. Now my ganders are playing the game "chase the females around and bite at their feathers"..while doing the agressive neck move.

I was reading this is how they determine pecking order. The females are not fighting but running away from them. The ducks are neutral and don't care at all. How long will this go on you think?

Thanks!

2. cdnley

Dec 7, 2010
    Day 2 seems to be going good.

Yesterday they were being chased and nipped at. They spent last night outside while the others slept in the house. Today my Tufted Buff is laying beside them. He layed with one, got up and then layed beside the other one. Is he the king of the castle or is he just being friendlier than the Embden? Either way they both seem to be more tolerant, which I hope will turn into a nice strong bond.

3. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Things should settle withina few day as the social order is sorted out. However it may stimulate agression between ganders as pair bonds are formed so do watch out for that. Embden ganders do have a reputation for being agressive.

4. cdnley

Dec 7, 2010
    Thanks. Today seems to be even better. The only thing is my new girls are sleeping outside instead of in the duck house with the others. I just hope they don't get too cold. I have no idea where they slept prior to me getting them, they may have slept outside? I think the ducks may be giving the girls a hard time about coming in the house.

The biggest goose is my Tufted Buff. He seems to be laying with the girls a lot, while the Embden is more so strutting around.

Regardless it is very interesting to see the dynamics and goose/duck behaviors. I know that when I had my one legged duck the others were quite mean. I also know that my smallest male duck gets into big trouble when he tries to mate with one of the female ducks!

I will keep updated on the daily observations! I do know that a fox was around the duck pen, as he comes by every couple days and my new girls were very vocal about that. They are very observant!

5. AAJ

AAJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    I am not sure. I want to know the same thing.

6. cdnley

Dec 7, 2010
    This afternoon my Embden is acting agressive towards my Tufted Buff (as a pp stated may happen). I have been watching them closely. The Embden chases Tufted around the pen. Embden is taller, Tufted is bigger. Tufted backs down and stands in the corner. When Embden makes his rounds Tufted looks outside and not at him. Obviously Tufted has backed down so I hope this will calm things down.

I can tell the girls love Tufted as he is the big teddy bear type while Embden is agressive and a take control kind of goose. Hopefully they pair up and Emden does not try and have 2 girls on the go, that never works out. I forsee the older female (she is smarter) with Tufted and the younger one with the Embden.

Fingers crossed the drama ends soon.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

8. cdnley

Dec 7, 2010
    Today things have calmed down. The Tufted still runs away from the Embden, but there is much less chasing and more so just intimidation tactics. My poor Tufted is sleeping outside though, the funny thing is so are the girls, so although Embden is the dominant male the girls are not with him. I bet my Tufted would prefer to sleep inside with the others, I am sure he will be okay outside in the meantime. I have to buy some straw as there is just a thin layer of wood shaving s on the snow. As March approaches I hope the weather will be milder so it won't be too cold for them. I won't be able to let them out until end of April or eaarly May so they get to spend a lot more time together.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hopefully as the days go by and especially after you can let them range together it will get better.

10. cdnley

Dec 7, 2010
    They are all doing okay today. The Embden chases Tufted around still, but not as much. Tufted is bummed out, he feels sad his buddy turned on him so quick. The girls are doing good, eating and honking. They all seem to get along pretty well. The girls seem to be more in with the group than Tufted. I cannot see any pairings yet, or mating even. Perhaps that happens more so in the water. I know if they want to lay eggs it should be in the next couple of months.

I will keep the post updated. I will have to post pics as well. I have just had this terrible cold for almost a week now, ugh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by