The Girls (I hope) Are Home

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Broodica, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Broodica

Broodica Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Newbie here! Received our 5 chicks today from My Pet Chicken. All healthy and alive. They were all eating and drinking happily within an hour.....a couple were a little slow on the uptake after getting an initial drink into them. Will post pics tomorrow.

Welcome Ghost (Delaware), Foghorn, Gene and Rufus (RIRs) and Makarov (Golden Laced Wyandotte) - not a female name among them...lol, but I am surrounded by men, so what do you expect.

I am having a heck of a time maintaining the temp at 95F. I have a 250 infrared on one end of the brooder and the thermometer goes from 86F - 99F without me touching the light. Methinks I have a crappy thermometer....so just trying to adjust it by their behaviour, but they seem pretty schizoid about it. Sometimes they lie right under it, other times on the periphery, sometimes some are right under it, stretched out sleeping and others are sleeping over to the side.....driving me nuts, but they have lots of room to move away if they get too hot. I think I am going to be up all night watching them!

Totally paranoid about pasty butt, so wiping down there bottoms with a warm washcloth if I see anything hanging around down there....

We've all been hanging around the brooder for hours watching them, and now Ghost gets upset if we all leave. They are TOOOOOOO cute! My dog is completely ignoring them....not in the least bit interested.

I have 2 questions which I am sure you have all answered 50 million times: They are on paper towels and cloth towels at the moment. Messy little critters! When should I change to the pine shavings - 2-3 days, a week? The infrared is their only source of heat, so it's going to be on 24/7. Is that OK? Don't they need darkness at some point? Or at least less light? I know they need to be able to see to eat and drink, but the 250 light is just soooooo......light!

Anyway....we are loving them! Just want to get this danged heat thing figured out....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
    [​IMG]

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    They do not need darkness .. [​IMG]
    I hyave my chicks on shavings from day 1 so you can switch when ever you feel like it! [​IMG]
    Congrats on your babies! [​IMG]

3. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy,
    Love your line about carrying pliers... so true!

4. colada584

colada584 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Gardiner, NY
    Mine were also on shavings from day 1, had no problems! [​IMG]

5. Broodica

Aug 20, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Thank ya, thank ya, Thank ya!

OK...well, no darkness. Now that would be torture for me! I don't know, but my younger son gone quite upset when we got them and I dipped their beaks in the water to get them to drink. He asked if that wasn't some kind of torture. My older son said "Yah, she's water boarding them". UGH. Wasn't sure whether to laugh or smack him upside the head. [​IMG]

Shavings OK to go. Still had 2 with hard stuff on their butt's, but saw them both poop, so just cleaned them off. The other three seemed fine, other than Ghost wanting to see one of her mom's at 6am. [​IMG] We're not back at school yet and still in sleep-in mode.

So far so good! And now I have to go get my new duckling's!

Sorry if I sound like a new proud mom....well I guess I kind of am!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  6. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    And relax on the heat thing. If they're not all piled up right under the center of the bulb, or all lined up at the opposite end of the brooder as far away from the light as they can get, then you're ok. Your description sounds like they are perfect. You will notice as they get older they start shifting away from the light, then its time to raise it.

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    SallyF: Thanks, I carry pliers around with me 24/7. [​IMG]
    Broodica: Just keep cleaning off their pasty rear ends and stuff and you'll do just fine! [​IMG] You should be proud to have such awesome babies! [​IMG]

8. Broodica

Aug 20, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

SallyF: Thanks, I carry pliers around with me 24/7. [​IMG]
    Broodica: Just keep cleaning off their pasty rear ends and stuff and you'll do just fine! [​IMG] You should be proud to have such awesome babies! [​IMG]

I am proud....they are awesome! Bummed tho cuz one of my ducklings died during shipment. Now I have this poor baby mallard all alone in a brooder....he is so pathetic [​IMG] He is drinking and eating tho and seems OK. I tried to put him in with the chicks, but he got bullied immediately, so took him out. Now trying to find a local breeder who has ducklings for sale to find him a buddy.

The circle of life......​

9. iluvmichickens

iluvmichickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Iowa
    Sorry about the loss. [​IMG]
    But I am very excited for you about the chicks! It sounds like you are having lots of fun with them and being a great mommy! [​IMG]
    My chicks are arriving this week and I'm soooo nervous! But it makes me feel better to know you're doing so well with yours!!

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Ugh - Sorry you lost it! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Hope you find him/her a bud! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by