1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The girls must be po'd

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Honey Maid, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Honey Maid

Honey Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2015
    State of Jefferson
    Kind of funny actually. About 4 or 5 days ago, I quit giving my ducks water and food at night, when they are locked up in the coop. Even though I had their water bucket in a bottom half of a dog kennel, the hay would get soaking wet, and REAl poopy over night. They've started to not lay in the nest, now they hide the eggs outside of the nest, I found one this morning by stepping on it. I've 8 hens, 3 will lay in the same spot, and easy to see, the rest of them hide their eggs. But no one lays in the nest anymore.

It's worth it though, they seem to be fine with not having access to food and water at night, and the coop does stay much cleaner and drier.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Honey Maid

Honey Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2015
    State of Jefferson
    Hey Amiga! Yup, thats how I had their water, got that idea from you, long time ago.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I found the best thing to use is compressed sawdust pellets. They really absorb so much water, with so little aroma.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by