The girls put them selves to bed tonight!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by vjbakke, May 17, 2011.

1. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Our girls are 7 and 8 wks old and it has finally been warm enough for them to be outside in their run during the day. I went tonight to the store and came back as the sun was almost down and all 6 girls were inside the coop! I was thinking I would come home to have to help them go up their ramp. Just wanted to share [​IMG]

2. AZSummer

AZSummer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Congratulations!! It's excited.

Mine sort of did too. They're still in a brooder but it's outside. I just haven't finished their coop. I should get one done this weekend. Well, we were all out working on the coops. At dusk I realized it was getting dark and still had to clean out their cage I missed the last cleaning so it needed some attention. Normally when the girls are out, they're in the middle of the yard or in the kid's old sandbox and they're REALLY hard to catch. Not tonight. At sunset, they were at my feet peeping LOUDLY like they were in distress. When I finished, I bent down, picked them up without any chase or squaking, and put them in. As soon as they were in their cage they quieted right down. It was the first time we didn't have to wrangle them.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  3. steve&kris

steve&kris Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I just made a post asking about this. My Buff orps are 6 weeks and only two made it in on their own tonight (3rd day of being outside the coop). That makes me feel better! Do yours roost on their perches, or just roost in the floor bedding?

4. One Grey

One Grey Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Fort Collins, CO
    Ours are 8-10 wks and only just outside this week and we are still "in training" to coax them into their coop at dusk. My husband said that tonight they walked right in when he turned on the heat lamp inside - it was the first night we didn't have to round them up and put them in, so I guess we're on the right track. [​IMG]

5. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    I think some of them roost and some are on the floor. Their was line of poo under one of the roosts so i think most of them were up there. Today they are going in the coop to eat! So no more putting food in the run! Smart girls!

6. sandysylvester

sandysylvester Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Congrats! Mine have been out for a little over a week now. On their 4th night they "got it" as well which I was very happy to see ; )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by