the girls spent their first night outside!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Morgan7782, May 29, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I have two girls, one BR and one EE, both soon to be 9 weeks old this Wednesday. Well, last night at 11pm it was 60 degrees and the low was told to be around 56. My chickies can go outside finally!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] so they spent their first night in the coop! Did wonderfully. nothing bad happened [​IMG] it was my first time using the coop I made so I am relieved. Happy graduation time!! Aw but I missed their cheeping at night lol

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

It's always exciting to get them outside. Congrats! [​IMG]

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Yep the weather is FINALLY summer here in NorCal! Supposed to be 80 today and 85 tomorrow. and nights are warm too. Once they are outside, if the temp drops at night say to 44/46 do I need to haul them BACK inside? Or will they do ok? (They are 9 weeks old this week, coop is draft free but there are only two of them for warmth) Thanks for any help [​IMG]

4. WV_Hillbilly70

WV_Hillbilly70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Nashville, Indiana
    We moved ours out in to the coop last night....had nightmares about raccoon's with wire snips breaking in!!!!! [​IMG]

But this morning at roll call all were present and accounted for and ready to EAT!! [​IMG]

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

If they are fully feathered you shouldn't have any problems. I am even colder here in Idaho and never had an issue as long as they had feathers.

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Awesome, yeah it won't get any colder then 46ish as a LOW at night. But their coop has no drafts, and the roof was put on to keep in the warmth. It's removeable because our summers get so warm. I am pretty sure they are feathered out, at least definate for the EE. The BR is taking a little longer, but this week i've found more BR feathers then EE, so she must be really working on getting feathered out [​IMG] I am so relieved they did well, I was having those nightmares too. I loooooove hardware cloth. LOVE IT. haha

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I put my four chicks outside yesterday for their first night out of the brooder, too. A Buff Brahma (Charlotte), a bantam Black Cochin (Lola), and two Silver Sebrights (Alice and Georgia, names which can be changed to masculine versions fairly simply: Alex, George).

I peeked in on them after dark, and they were making depressions in the pine shavings, stretching out under the heat lamp. Yah, I know I'm a softy, but they've had heat-lamp "slop-over" from the second brooder in the bathroom holding younger chicks, so I wanted to avoid temperature shock. I might or might not turn the lamp on again tonight....

But they survived just fine and are dashing about in their smallish pen inside the big run where the other chickens can see them, and they can see the Big Chickens. Charlotte just tried to chest bump Betsy through the poultry fence. [​IMG]

Betsy, Ellen, Rhoda, Laverne & Shirley are the "older teenagers" now integrated with the Big Chickens. They're about 15-16 weeks old. They hang out in a gang by themselves, mostly, unless it's treat time.

Matilda and Bernadette are ticked off about the poultry fencing pen around the Duck House, which is the lodge where the aforementioned four are spending their segregation/integration time. They used to sneak into the Duck House to lay their eggs.

Now and then one of the Sebrights gets separated from the other, just around a corner of the Duck House out of sight, and it peeps like the dickens. I've had to gently herd the other three back into sight.

And just think, I get to do this yet again this year with the other four chicks still in the brooder. "The First Night Outside" does NOT get any less worrisome, just because I've experienced it with previous chicks!

8. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Aw! I absolutely need to figure out a low cost way to create a larger coop. I want more so bad! I read all these stories and I just want 2 or 3 more. I promise, no more after that! Until I win the lottory [​IMG]

My girls were inside for the last two weeks, until this last storm passed, without the heat light to wean as well. I have a ton of fruit trees, and ground cover and am too worried about fire so I am avoiding hanging a light out there. They did fine though [​IMG] happy to be let out this morning. They are running the pen cheeping as I type. They are real comfortable with their small coop for two, I hope they can adjust to a bigger coop with a few more buddies.. [​IMG]

I need to figure out how to make a coop (not being touched with a saw-skill gifted hand) any idea's = good lol because I may run to the feed store for food and not be able to help myself! They were calling my name! LoL [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by