The goat campaign!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by MRNpoultry, Apr 15, 2008.

1. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    I have been trying to talk my dad into getting goats. We have 2 acres, I told him that is enouth for minature goats. I am trying to think of a speach of why we sould get goats. So what are the pro's of having goats and what would you need.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2008
  2. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    the person i got my two goats from has over 100 goats on 2 acres and we're getting a big ol milking doe from her this sunday

(mind you over half are little youngins.)

hope this helps

3. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Well, I have 2 1/2 acres and have 3 miniature donkeys & 6 minature goats. I still have a large front and back yard and 3 pastures to rotate the animals in. I also have rabbits in the barn and this year will have chickens and geese out there. We have 4 Nigerian Dwarf's, 1 pygmy, 1 fainting goat and 1 mini nubian.

Goats are so friendly, if raised as bottle babies and so much fun. You will find nothing funnier than a goat. Ours follow us where ever we go, including around the yard, etc. I feel like the pied piper. Of course the donkeys do too. They are great for eating weeds, they love them. You can milk them, and the milk is very healthy for you. You can make butter, cheese, etc. You can easily train them to carry a dog backpack and take them hiking and on picnics with you and they carry the supplies! They are great for taking to petting zoo's, nursing homes, etc because they are so friendly. They are definitely my favorite farm animal! Larger goats can also pull carts.

Good luck with your convincing!!

4. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    My goats are in a paddock that is about 1/4 acre. They get hay and grain, dont live off the land at all. They are minis, have 4.

5. hazelton farms

hazelton farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    NC
    Where ya at in NC? I'm in Gates. I've got two does I'm going to have to sell here. We got them as part of a group deal. They are mother/daughter. The mom is sweet as puddin', I think daughter needs more time spent with her. Daughter is NOT pure pygmy like mom, as she's already bigger than mom! [​IMG]
    Anyway, if you get him convinced, I might have what you're lookin' for! [​IMG]

Stacy

6. MRNpoultry

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    Thanks

My dad is going to be suprised when he goes in the yard and there are flags marking were everything is going to be, lol. I have always wanted a farm. THis moves me one step closer till I get my own house (Which is a long ways away).
    How much milk does a minature nubian make?

7. MRNpoultry

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    Quote:Were in guilford county. That would be great if I could talk him into getting goats.

8. MRNpoultry

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    Quote:I was thinking about blocking off the area behind the garge.

9. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    I am 40 something years old and had never had goats until 3 months ago. I love them..! My goats are Tennessee Fainting goats, the mini-fainters. They are very friendly and quiet goats. The males do not smell like many male goats do. The females usually have twins and triplets are not uncommon. If you were to get registered fainters, you could get in the neighborhood of between $90-$125 or more for the male babies and $125-$200 for the female babies. (bucklings and doelings) You can raise quiet a few goats on 2 acres and they are much more profitible than cows! I never thought I'd ever want a goat and now I could not think about ever not having them.
    >>>What you would need...........fencing (I use the woven fence with 4 inch squares), a small shelter (depending on how many you have), a watering troft, a feeder of some kind, wormer (a must have with goats) and by all means buy a good book on goats (either dairy goats or meat goats, whichever breed you decide on). Goats are great fun and take up very little time......"less than my birds"

10. MRNpoultry

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    If we got goat they would probaly stay in the area behind the garge. My dads friend just got id of his cows, because of the drought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by