The goat "pecking" order.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Badhbh, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Should I be worried? I got two babies (2 months old) and had them separated into another pen from the two bigger boys (Um... 6 months? 7?) for a few days. I put them together today, and the dominant male is butting and shoving the babies. He won't let them in the barn. Should I be worried about the safety of the little ones? Should I separate the big bottom? [​IMG] I'm worried that the littlest one will get hurt.

2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Ugh, it's normal and SUCH a headache! All I can tell you is make more shelters and space your feed bowls plenty far apart. Make sure hay is well spread out, so the older guys can't hog it.

They might get hurt, but probably not. You just have to let them work it out or else it will never get better.

3. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I would keep them separate as the larger boys can hurt them and I would have them wehre they could see each other and then slowly place them together. The older is just doing what come naturally and it takes time but when the younger is older would I put them in together.

4. Zgoatlady

Zgoatlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Enumclaw, WA
    My Coop
    I wouldnt put them together yet they are to small and could get hurt by the older ones. But let them see each other so they get to know each other.
    Goats do have a pecking order.
    Have fun with them just love all of ours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by