The Golden Nesting Box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CoelhoFamily, Aug 22, 2016.

1. CoelhoFamily

CoelhoFamily Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2016
    Northern California
    We have 10 chickens consisting of 3 Layers and 7 pullets (?) All 3 of our layers use the same nesting box. We have 4 nesting boxes total. They will not lay in the other 3 boxes. Actually I've seen them "wait in line" for the golden nesting box. The 7 pullets are very close to laying age (17 weeks) Do you think all 10 hens will lay in the Golden Nesting Box?

2. Cleotastic

Cleotastic Just Hatched

Jul 23, 2016
    Suffolk, UK
    I have this problem!

I have eight point of lay birds, with only four laying so far. Only one box will ever be laid in.

More infuriating is that the other two are clearly just toilets, in their eyes!

xxx

3. CoelhoFamily

Aug 17, 2016
    Northern California
    Yes I have the same problem, I wonder when I should stop filling the other nesting boxes with the nice straw since I'm throwing most of it away cause it has been used as a toilet

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Your boxes are being slept in at night. When birds sleep in a nest box, it obviously makes it unsuitable for eggs! You can block off all of the nest boxes at night, and open them up every morning. It should take a few days, and up to several weeks to train the birds to sleep on the perches, instead of in the boxes. How big are your coops? How many linear feet of perches do you have? Are the perches placed ABOVE the height of the nest boxes? Are the perches high enough that birds on the floor of the coop can't reach the toes of the birds on the perches? All of these issues are important, because if your coop is not suitable for the needs of a chicken, the flock will NEVER work well in your coop. Pullets sleep in nest boxes often because they are being bullied by the older birds. Sometimes crowding, improper coop and run set up can cause increased issues with bullying. Perches must be above the height of the nest boxes, high enough that the birds can perch without getting picked on from below or from an adjacent perch. Far enough from the back wall of the coop so their feathers don't touch that wall. Far enough below the ceiling of the coop so that winter condensation from their respiration does not freeze on the ceiling and create a moisture/ice issue that will lead to frost bite. The birds need at least 10 linear inches of perch space per bird. Enough room to be able to fly up and down, or if in a small coop, several access areas where they can step up and down. Birds need a long run way to be able to fly down off a perch without crashing into the wall in front of them.

5. CoelhoFamily

Aug 17, 2016
    Northern California
    How d
    How do you suggest covering the nesting boxes at night?

6. CoelhoFamily

Aug 17, 2016
    Northern California
    Blocked off the nesting boxes let's see if they figure out where to roost

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    May take (more than) a few nights.....pullets may need separate roost, just slight lower than main roost.
    I block nests an hour or so before roost time, then uncover them when I lock up after dark.
    Nifty hinged nest cover makes it easy.

Fake eggs/golf balls in all the nests can help 'spread the love'....especially for your pullets.

8. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Your birds are young.....They for now, like the one nest box...As they mature they will start to investigate the other nests also.
    Block off the nest boxes with either a rubber kids ball or use logs for a pit. I never block mine off...They figure it out.
    One of my Ameruacana hens nested on the floor of my coop till she was older....She loved nesting behind the door in the dark. I hung curtains on my nest boxes and they loved the darkness and privacy during laying...I used and old cloth shower curtain cut to size.
    Check out the Chicken chick...I have been using her for years..Accurate information...Great reading.

9. CoelhoFamily

Aug 17, 2016
    Northern California
    Moving 10 birds to the roost not so much fun in pitch black. Hopefully they learn. Our one banty is actually sleeping on the floor. Couldn't get her to stay on the roost. At least no one is sleeping in the nesting boxes.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    No, it's not....that's why I use a head light set on low and pointed up away from roost, keeps the birds calmer and I can still see ok, tipping my head down if I need more light in a certain spot.

Some folks cover light with a red filter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by