1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

The "Good" brown egg layers(Pros cons)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ThePRfan, Jan 8, 2015.

1. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Here you may show good breeds,and good ve caring advice,no " in write ur wrobg things,and fowl Language.

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    The very best brown egg layers are Black and Red Sex Links, which are egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids) and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Their are a few cons with them. First, because they are hybrids, they will not breed true. Second, because they spend so much energy into their incredible egg production, their laying life is shorter than that of standard breeds such as Australorps and Orpingtons. I actually prefer the Black Sex Links to the Red Sex Links as my Blacks have been friendlier, and have layed slightly better in really cold winter weather. Also, my Blacks have tended to have a little longer laying life than my Reds. Among standard breeds, the best brown egg layer is the Australorp, followed very closely by the Production Red and the Rhode Island Red. I don't have any cons where Australorps are concerned. They are extremely hardy, and calm and friendly. My children, and now my granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) made lap pets of them. Production Reds and Rhode Island Reds are sometimes aggressive (especially the roosters).

1 person likes this.
  3. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Thanks!for adding that.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

5. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

Are you wanting breeds and/or hybrids that lay the most brown eggs? Or do you want friendly breeds and/or hybrids that lay brown eggs? Or do you want hardy breed and/or hybrids that lay brown eggs?

What do you specifically want?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by