The GOODYEAR Blimp just flew over my house

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by tdgill, Sep 14, 2010.

1. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

here in Cecil county MD.

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

They are so cool, did you get any pics?

We used to live in Elizabeth City, NC and there was an old WWII blimp hanger there, a company called airship international owned it they used to work on them there. There were quite a few going in and out. I would have loved to take a ride on one.

Steve

3. FarmerJamie

FarmerJamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Back in the mid 80's while at the University of Akron, Goodyear had some sort of reunion at the Akron airdock for the blimps and folks who worked with them over the years. Somewhere I have a photo of 3 blimps passing overhead in formation. I'll have to see if I can find it, scan it and post it here.

4. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow,.. I haven't seen one of those in a long time,. it was always so exciting to see one when we were little,.. still is! [​IMG]

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG] I missed those things flying around here! It was neat seeing them over Peoria often!

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They are so neat! The best part is they are nearly silent. Much different than the Blue Angels practicing when I was a kid out of Pane field or the new Boeing planes taking flight.

Once I was in my car and it started rumbling, thought, boy, sounds like a big plane is flying over, looked up into the sunroof, and I swear it was filled with the belly of the 787 dreamliner when it was being run for the first flight.

7. Equus5O

Equus5O Chillin' With My Peeps

We used to live in the vicinity of Giants Stadium. I was outside on a VERY foggy day, and heard a wierd whooshing noise from above. The blimp was RIGHT over my head!

8. Q9

Q9 General Headache

While visiting some friends out in backwoods NC a blimp flew over. Our friends' grandmother was there, and said, "Look, a drigible!" [​IMG]

I know that's the technical name, but isn't "blimp" a lot more common?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by