The Grand Experiment

Pics

rjohns39

Enlightened
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Aug 20, 2015
Smith County, TN
How do I start this? I've raised Cobb, Ross, and unknown strains of CX. The problem is there's too many variables between each. So here's the experiment. In past experiments I've found that I get a better carcass size with feeding all they can eat in 45 minutes with a mortality rate of less than 3%. When I fed all they could eat in 30 minutes my mortality rate was around 2% but my carcass weight was less than 5lbs. When I fed free choice, carcass weight was 6-8 pounds with a 10% mortality rate. So for this experiment I'll feed what they can eat in 45 minutes every Sunday and adjust weekly. I have 40 ross708 and 40 cobb500 birds that will arrive tomorrow. The pro's have a 2:1 conversion rate while I've never gotten better that 3.46:1. In this test I'll be looking for what works best for me.

There are several different strains of CX. The cobb500 and Ross708 are both slower growing birds that do better on grass. Cobb500s grow out fast early but slow down in the end and Ross708s start slow and then speed up in the end. Most hatcheries and feed stores just buy CX with no idea what strain they are. Most hatcheries who can provide specific strains aren't interested in dealing with the quantities that we buy. I actually had one hatchery who shall remain nameless tell me that if I wanted 300 birds every five weeks spring through fall, that I just wasn't worth their time and effort.:th

Back
Top Bottom