The grass is always greener

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by pardygwyn, Aug 31, 2010.

1. pardygwyn

pardygwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    I've had fence-destroying goats for years. I don't think there's an "OMG how did my goat do this" story I couldn't match... then again, knowing goats. Maybe I shouldn't make such statements! LOL Needless to say, they have taught me not to value material items too highly over the years because everything I ever touch needs to be chewed, licked, butted, and explored to bits. This year, I decided enough brush was gone that I could make the switch from caprine craziness to ovine craziness. That's right, I went to the dark side - sheep. HAIR sheep. ohoho

First came some ewe lambs I just couldn't resist, despite a looooong drive to get them. Everyone, meet twins Kaiya and Ember. [​IMG]
    They like kitties and were my crash course in how sheep are different, especially the difference between a "friendly" sheep and a FRIENDLY goat. I also learned what that twitchy monkey-tail thing they do is for. Poop is involved. It's cute anyway, because they do it out in the field where they belong!

Okay, got that down... time to plan ahead for future meat production and such! So along came Bogey: [​IMG]
    He's a fine young ram despite his fearsome visage and horror movie bleat; he walks away when he sees me coming. From what I've heard about tame rams, I like that about him. =P I also like his straight hair coat (looks like one of those bristle mats you wipe your boots on) and beefy build. However, Ember and Kaiya are still too young to breed, so I needed a companion for poor Bogey.

I found someone willing to barter ducks for sheep and brought home Grace: [​IMG]
    She wasn't the best quality ewe they had, but she was so sweet and so pretty that I couldn't say no. She had a really glamorous name before I picked her up, too, but 30 minutes of driving with her schoolmarm face in the rearview quashed that quick. Despite Kaiya and Ember supposedly being friendly, she's the only sheep in my little flock who will eat out of my hand. I'll get to them sooner or later. [​IMG]

Now it's time to settle in and let the living lawnmowers get to work with (hopefully) a bit less poop on my car! I'll let you all know how my next madcap adventure in livestock pans out.

2. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    Hahaha, Sheep are the dark side? Well I fell right off at the beginning didn't I? [​IMG]
    I like sheep more over goats but they both have a place in my heart.
    Those are very pretty sheep you have there, what breed are they?
    Also just curious, what was her glamorous name?
    We butchered our first lamb last year, I've never had such a tasty tender roast like the ones we get from lamb, nom nom. [​IMG]

3. pardygwyn

pardygwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Eeeeexcellent. I prefer them to goats as well, so far. But my goat boys were a lot friendlier and would have been perfect if they hadn't been so pushy. These sheep are supposedly Katahdins, but none are registered and Grace especially shows a recent outcross to some Barbados line or other. I don't mind, I just want lawnmowers and nice meat. [​IMG]

Grace's name was Farrah. Her former owner agreed with me that the name didn't fit, though her idea of a perfect name was Fatima. I have to remember my animal's names and that just doesn't come to mind quickly enough for me. Grace popped into my head on the drive home, so Grace it is! LOL Out of curiosity, how does lamb meat compare to young goat meat? I absolutely adore goat meat, especially in curry.

4. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    That's what I thought your sheep were, just wasn't sure. The type of sheep I raised were the Suffolk breed because they were also for show purposes.
    I've had 2 Boer goat wethers, but we never ate them, so I can't say whether they taste better or the same as sheep. Right now I have Pygmy goats, and lol, I don't plan eating them. Goats when they are friendly, are REALLY friendly. Lol. If they didn't chew or jump on me they wouldn't be so bad. The pygmies aren't as bad as the larger goats though. I would call them a happy medium.
    As far as showing goes, goats were so much more effort and more annoying than any of my sheep I showed. None of my sheep or goats were registered, I think unless you do some hardcore breeding registry isn't too important.
    I like the name Grace, it seems to fit her better as far as "looks" go. [​IMG] She's very pretty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by