The great chicken murder.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RM44, May 24, 2010.

1. RM44

RM44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Well, someone was clearly out in the coop murdering my chickens slowly, or at least that's what I thought. One chicken was screaming so loudly, over and over, and I thought she'd screamed herself hoarse. This went on for at least 5 minutes before I could get out there. Low and behold, it was my young black australorp on the nextbox. Hmmmm, first time egg layer, I thought....

I went back into the house to give her some privacy and she continued to scream and carry on for 30 minutes! She was louder than any rooster I've ever heard. After she stopped, a second one started up. Screaming just as loud! I'd already taken the BA's egg, so I knew it wasn't her, and sure enough a dominique was in the nest screaming bloody murder! She must have carried on for 10-15 minutes too. After the noise calmed down, I went out and collected her first egg too.

My first layer (a production RIR) was quiet as a church mouse from the very beginning. But these new layers sound like they're being killed. Is this typically just new layer anxiety, or is this what I should expect from them every day? I went from 1 layer to 5 layers in this last week. I think I only have 2 screamers so far though. Are they going to stop?

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Maybe... Some chickens are just loud about it. Some are only loud about the really big ones or the first ones.

3. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Seems like she had one hell of a time laying or having a chicken chorus? [​IMG]

4. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I have some that you can hear them echoing on the hill behind me. Others you never know they laid an egg. I know the exact sound you're talking about.

They call it the "egg song".

5. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] My hens ALL do the egg song every time one lays. It's a chorus! And it can go on for most of the day. You're lucky only two of yours are screamers, and only when they are laying their own egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by