The great egg pecking mystery takes a turn

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Charlene, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Charlene

Charlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Background: This winter someone was pecking the eggs. I have two laying hens and I had 2 pullets and a young male at the time. By the time it got really bad, only one pullet remained and I suspected her. So I found her a new home and since then there has only been one egg pecked. It's been at least a month.

Today, something new happened. I found my two eggs, nice and whole in the nest like usual. I put them by the open barn doors, on a tall barrel and did some other things. When I came back, one was pecked!

My BR's can't fly that high (really they can't fly at all), so ti wasn't them. It must be some other bird! Has anyone heard of this? Maybe a Jay? They are aggressive. I am sure glad it's not the ladies!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

If your eggs are open to predators, blame the ravens. At least here it is the ravens. Youo can bet other birds will peck at them!

3. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    Man that stinks something pecked your eggs right behind your back! It could have been any wild bird really.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by