The great escape!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by bakerjw, Jul 11, 2010.

1. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    We are in the process of transitioning our girls (8 TSC pullets) from their chicken tractor into a new fenced in run. We've been doing a major addition to the house and have put off getting them up there full time but yesterday we decided to herd them into the run and try to get their mobile coop moved up later in the day. Through out the day we noticed that one or two of them had discovered a small hole near where the gate is going to be and made it back out for some free ranging.

Well... About 3 in the afternoon I spot my oldest son, who was tasked with keeping an eye on them, walking up the hill with a treat can in his hand. I figured at best that he was just going to go visit the girls. At worst I suspected that some may have gotten out and he was trying to track them down. I came down to investigate and soon discovered that there was a single frantic chicken left in the run and the other 7 were no where to be found.

After 20 minutes of looking around we found them out near my sister in laws trailer where they were happily scratching in the underbrush and enjoying the free ranging life of a chicken.

I have since learned that a highly motivated chicken running downhill can easily clear a 4' fence. It looks like my planned purchase of some deer netting will be accelerated a bit.

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    LOL They can gain some mighty momentum running down hill... LOL Love the airplane look they get....

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:Indeed...the can scale a small building with the right amount of take off bounce. hehehehe

Cute story and glad you found everyone. Sound like netting is indeed in order...sooner rather than later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by