The Great HOA vs. Chicken Battle has been won!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by docgbo21, Jan 10, 2014.

1. docgbo21

docgbo21 New Egg

Jan 10, 2014
    Hi everyone, my name is Autumn and I live in Eastern NC. I am a new to backyardchickens.com, a chicken owner, and a resident in a subdivision that has a HOA, which obviously bans owning any sort of poultry. I wanted to share this story in the hopes that others who live in a development with an HOA and desire to own chickens, there is hope that you can!
    In January of 2013,our subdivision's HOA was considered "inactive". It was put in place by the builder but there was no standard of how people were paying into the HOA. Some residents did, some didn't, some didn't even know there were covenants which were to be abided by. Our roads were already falling apart so someone decided to look into the HOA propaganda, and basically the builder said if you want the roads fixed, you need to assume the HOA and have them fixed on your own. We were all furious and thus the new HOA was founded (ugh...) Basically the covenants remained the same (especially the part about owning poultry) but everyone had to pay into this "new HOA", votes had to be made on what covenants should remain or be changed, members had to be voted in, blah blah, blah. Well in May of 2013 I was given the best Mothers day gift. Four chicks and a duckling! I was so excited! BEST GIFT EVER!! Well through the magic of Facebook and nosy neighbors, the HOA President's wife discovered we had chickens. We promptly received a nasty-gram stating that we were in violation and had 30 days to comply or we would be faced with a fine and other possible "repercussions". Now there are only 25 houses in my development, I live in the first culdesac at the end, no other HOA members behind us. My immediate surrounding neighbors were ok with us having chickens (we okayed it with them first.) I just didn't understand why anyone else would care. They weren't bothering anyone! My husband and I immediately went to the "President's" house and asked if we could keep them until the votes for changing the covenants had been made. After much deliberation and some sweet talking, they agreed to let us keep them. Small victory.
    Fast forward to December 2013. Stay with me, this gets good...Our HOA board would have to pay a lawyer to remove or change covenants since it is a legal binding document, we come up with this brilliant plan. Make a "Special Request" Covenant. Basically if you want to legally break the HOA rules all you have to do it get 67% of the homes to vote yes on what it is you are requesting. For us, we obviously wanted to have a small backyard flock. We wrote a letter to the board stating the number of chickens we wanted, where they would live, how often we would clean their coop, promised no roosters, and so on. They gave us in return, a spread sheet with all the homes addresses and last names. All we had to do was walk around house to house and get a yes or no with a signature. We needed 17 houses to say yes to get our 67%. EVERY SINGLE HOUSE SAID YES!!!!
    It was a great feeling! I just wanted to share and I hope this can help someone else. Chickens are wonderful to have and don't be afraid to fight for what you want!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Thank you for sharing your story! I'm so glad things turned in your favour. I still find it baffling that people are not allowed to keep chickens in certain areas, but you can keep dogs and cats? Strange...

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] to BYC!

Congrats on your having changed the laws! Not an easy task to do. I completely agree with Sumi here, I never understood why people can put up with hundreds of barking dogs in the neighborhood, but are not willing to allow quiet hens. I think it goes back to the "country" thing, which is what many people might be trying to get away from.

Anyway, great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

1 person likes this.
  4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Congrats, glad things turned out well with the HOA.

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Congratulations! Barking dogs are also one of my pet peeves, chickens are so much quieter.

7. docgbo21

docgbo21 New Egg

Jan 10, 2014
    Absolutely agree. I would rather live nest to chickens than dogs any day :)

8. Ivybirdy

Ivybirdy Out Of The Brooder

Glad you got to keep your chickens :D

1 person likes this.
  9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Autumn, welcome to BYC, and congratulations on the victory.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by