The Great Jumbo Egg Mystery

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 10erfamily, Mar 10, 2014.

1. 10erfamily

10erfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2013
    Today I went out to the coop and found a giant egg!!!! The egg weighed 3.5 grams on the scale and is considered a jumbo sized egg!

Pictured here is a store bought large egg, next to that is an older egg one of my hens laid which weighs in at 2.5 grams ( also jumbo) and the last is super jumbo!
    [​IMG]
    Another picture of the egg, it wouldn't fit in a regular egg carton so we had to use a duck egg carton.
    [​IMG]
    Anyways I wondering which one of my hens laid this egg? I know that two of lavender orpingtons are laying, an older buff is laying, and possibly a barred rock ( the silkie and black copper maran are also laying but they are out of the running). So what do you guys think?
    Post what you think and pictures of your jumbo eggs!!! [​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    wow, now that is a super jumbo egg! Do you know if it is a double or more? How old are your girls? If it is a double I would bet on a younger hen laying it, if it is a giant single I would go on an older hen.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You may never know who laid it. They're usually a glitch in the system and not an ongoing thing, that makes it hard to narrow down. It's likely a double yolker, and they're usually from higher production bred birds, especially new layers.

4. 10erfamily

Nov 3, 2013
    [​IMG]
    It was a double yoker!!! Thanks for the info everyone I didn't know that about the young and older chickens laying double yokers. Based on the info you gave me I believe I have narrowed down the culprit. She is almost one year old lavender orpington hen that has just started laying! I cant wait to see what she lays today![​IMG] Here is a picture of her..
    [​IMG]

5. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

That is so awesome! We've gotten about four jumbo doubles, but I don't think they were that big! Perhaps that chicken has a little duck blood in her!

My friend, who is a seasoned chicken person, said the same thing donrae did. Probably a young hen just getting the kinks worked out.

It is a shame someone could not breed a chicken to do that all the time.

6. 10erfamily

Nov 3, 2013
    Wow four! I have had my chickens for three years and this is my first double yoke! It would be awesome if the chicken would lay this egg all the time. I am going to try to hatch out some of her eggs though in hope that she might pass on some good egg laying genes! Hopefully she will lay another jumbo in time for an egg show. :)

7. CindaLouWho

CindaLouWho Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2014
    Hesperia, CA
    Wow! That's BIG!!!

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Thing is, you really don't want them laying double yolks all the time. Once in a while it's not a big deal, but any ongoing issues with their reproductive system puts them at higher risk for complications. Not saying you shouldn't breed her, but that is one issue folks with high production birds run into, laying complications.

by the way, that is a beautiful hen!

9. 10erfamily

Nov 3, 2013
    Thanks, this hen is one of my prettier lavender orpingtons. I will make sure to keep track of when she has double yolks, I did not know that about the double yolks, thanks! I also found some hidden eggs under my porch today, seems she might have started laying a little earlier then I thought! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  10. ChazzanHillel

ChazzanHillel Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2014
    Fort Worth
    [​IMG]

Our mystery jumbo egg. I think it was from one of our two Leghorns.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by