The Great Mystery: Which of my eggs match the breeds I have?

roostereggs

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 19, 2013
I recently inherited 7 hens, and I got a chicken cam to see who is laying which egg, but the coop is too far away from the house for it to connect to my wifi.

In a few weeks I will be hatching some of these eggs in an incubator, but I only want to hatch certain ones. I think my roo is a Barnevelder, and he is fertilizing 100% of our eggs. I am trying to match egg to breed, but what I have read about egg color and breed has not been helpful. So I am here to ask the experts! They are between 3-7 years old, and I do not add artificial light at night. My hens, in pecking order (not sure if you need this info), high to low:

Buff orpington (seen in nest occasionally)
Barred rock #1
Golden/red sex-link #1
Barred rock #2 (seen in nest a lot)
Golden/red sex-link #2
Easter egger #1
Easter egger #2 (She is picked on a lot & either sleeps on the roost below everyone else or inside nest. I think she may be broody, but she will sit NEXT to the pile of eggs and not on top.)
idunno.gif

My eggs, in order of production, high to low:
Light brown speckled medium-sized egg, lays darn near every day, 14/16 days.
Light brown smooth large egg, laid 11-12/16 days.
Mint green large egg, has laid two days on, one day off consistently. 10/15 days. (I suspect with this exact routine, only one of my EEs is laying.)
Light brown med-large egg with olive specks, laid 10/15 days.
XL medium-brown egg, always very wrinkly and funny shaped, 9/16 days.
Ombre cream/white torpedo egg, has laid 7/15 days.

And once every 2 weeks I find a a large smooth pinkish/brown egg. Could be from one hen, but I suspect one hen is a non-layer and this egg comes from my smooth brown layer...?

I want to hatch eggs from my sex-links for production and my barred rocks for their friendliness. Or should I throw all caution to the wind and hatch some of each?

That's going to be a tough one to sort out!
big_smile.png
Many of those lay eggs that are similar in color. The easiest route would be to hatch them all and see what you get. A simple way to hatch only what you want (and be sure!) is to place the hens you want eggs from in a dog crate or separate place. Then you can be sure. Happy hatching!

Jeez! Why didn't I think of that?

OK, I will separate them out tonight when they go to roost.
smile.png
I just hope they don't go on strike when I do it!

Thanks for your reply!

Back
Top Bottom