The great outdoors really IS a good thing!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Orchid, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    On Saturday, I let my four 9-10 week old chickens out for the first time. Or rather, I tried to let them out for the first time. They'd take turns peeking out the door and roosting on the shavings-saver board, but it took over three hours for the first pullet (Sunflower, my BO, the one I have always thought of as the least brave!) to cautiously make her way out into the run. She seemed so lonely and unsure all by herself that I finally tossed the other three out despite their rather vocal protestations. [​IMG]

Sunday, it took them well over an hour to come out, but come out they finally did.

Monday it took about 20 minutes.

Yesterday it took less than a minute.

And finally this morning, the second I opened their door I had to get the heck out of the way before I was run down by a mad mob of chickens intent on getting out in the sun as fast as possible! [​IMG]

2. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Rofl!

3. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    It took our buckeyes 3 days to come out voluntarily now it's like a chicken cannon when I open their run in the morning. [​IMG] Last weekend my husband cam ein laughing after experiencing the buckeye explosion.

Thankfully they have also learned to put themselves away, after a week, but they don't do it without proest. They want to be picked up and put in their coop. No matter they run up and down the ramp all day. It's bed time, they want to be carried. [​IMG]

4. TCollier

TCollier Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Franklin, Ohio
    Mine did not know what to think when that door opened. peeked out just like yours. Now they about tear the door down to get out.

5. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Mine actually went in and put themselves to bed the very first night - I was shocked - figured I'd be playing chicken sandman the first few nights, but nope, every night a little before 9 they make their way inside and off to sleep they go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by