The great Rooster crowing experiment!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jeffross1968, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Ok, so I wouldn't go as far as calling it great. Maybe....mildly interesting.

But I've posted recently about my 6+ month old roo who isn't crowing or mating. No signs of doing either. So, I've decided to see, after reading a bit about roosters, to see if I can get him to crow. I have since downloaded and burned 8 tracks of roosters crowing. For 20 minutes a day, and then once an hour, I'm going to blast these from a boom box and see what happens [​IMG]

If I conquer this...I'll have to figure out what to do about getting him to mate. Maybe a projector, screen, and some youtube footage [​IMG]

2. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    Lol this sounds fun [​IMG]

I did once have a Partridge Rock that I am convinced was a Hermaphrodite. "She" was a strange bird. Never quite feathered in but developed hackles, had a pronounced comb, and a roosterish tail. I bought her as a pullet chick from McMurray and at a month old she was larger than the other pullets and very leggy with very few feathers. As an adult she looked like she was stuck between a rooster and a hen. In the 3 years I had her (coon got her) she never crowed, never mated, never developed spurs and never laid a single egg.

I hope you have better luck LOL [​IMG]

3. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    suki'smom :

Lol this sounds fun [​IMG]

I did once have a Partridge Rock that I am convinced was a Hermaphrodite. "She" was a strange bird. Never quite feathered in but developed hackles, had a pronounced comb, and a roosterish tail. I bought her as a pullet chick from McMurray and at a month old she was larger than the other pullets and very leggy with very few feathers. As an adult she looked like she was stuck between a rooster and a hen. In the 3 years I had her (coon got her) she never crowed, never mated, never developed spurs and never laid a single egg.

I hope you have better luck LOL [​IMG]

He'll be freezer meat long before that [​IMG]

4. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Well, well, well...you all sat back. You mocked. You called me mad! But what happened this morning???

HE CROWED!!! 4 or 5 glorious times! Each better than the first! The great Rooster Crowing Experiment.....SUCCESS!

Or he just decided it was time. I dunno?

5. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    Cool. Let us know how the videos do. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  6. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:Uh, yeah...something tells me part 2 is going to be a bit more difficult...

7. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    That is awesome.

All the posts I've read on here on how to get a rooster to STOP crowing, and you've got to coach yours to start? Maybe you should have worked out a trade with someone who wanted a silent roo? [​IMG]

I do love the sound of a rooster crowing. Lovely!

8. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    a silent roo..YES!

9. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    We love the sound of a roo, and really have missed it. We had a little golden sebright roo that would crow all day. Hated to give him away but he got really aggressive with us and the new girls. Since then, it's just been too quiet around here, LOL! So he's started crowing, but only a couple very early in the morning, and then silent the rest of the day. Do you think this is just "new crower" behavior, or do some crows just blast off a couple in the morning and that's it?

10. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Quote:Maybe he's just the strong, silent type! He only started crowing yesterday so I'd keep up with the boombox until he gets in to a habit.

I only have had one roo so a sample size of 1 really doesn't give me the chops to give advice. But...my little dude crows first thing in the morning off and on for about an hour or two then is pretty quiet during the day except when its overcast. When the clouds come over he crows up a storm. I was wondering if the mood lighting simulates dawn and triggers it. He rarely crows in the evening. Go figure. As he has matured his crowing prowess has improved so maybe you need to give your guy some time to perfect his technique.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by